I did a Facebook poll a while back and asked my Facebook friends what their go-to weeknight dinners were. Aside from pasta (a solid #1) and baked or rotisserie chicken (#2), it turned out that salmon was a favorite. No surprise — it’s versatile, healthy, and can come together in minutes. Perfect for a hectic weeknight.
Which is one of the reasons it’s so common on our dinner table too! If I’ve got extra time, we’ll soak a wood plank and smoke it on the grill or crust it in an avalanche of spice and pan sauté with some tender-crisp veg. But for the super-quick I-need-to-get-dinner-on-the-table-NOW kind of meal, this is my go-to!
Just season the salmon and heat a skillet with olive oil. Cook one side of the salmon for a minute or two, then flip it and add the sauce. Cook for another minute or so — I tend to undercook the salmon just slightly to keep it moist in the middle, but if that’s not your style — keep it on the heat a little longer.
Over a bed of brown rice with a little of the glaze spooned over the top – oh-ma-Gawd! The sauce is sweet and savory with a smoky bourbon backnote — I know! Sublime! And it’s ready in minutes! It’s dinner’s holy grail!
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons bourbon
- 2 6-oz. salmon fillets
- sprinkle of salt
- sprinkle of pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sliced green onions
- chopped cilantro
- Special equipment: ovenproof skillet with a tight fitting lid
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the glaze and set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of the fillets with salt and pepper.
- Place the pan on the stove and turn on the heat to medium-medium high. When the pan is hot, but not smoking, add the olive oil and rotate the pan to cover with the oil. Add the salmon fillets and cook for one minute. Remove from heat. Carefully flip the salmon and spread each piece with the glaze. Cover with the lid and place in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until desired doneness is reached. Spoon glaze over the fish. Garnish with cilantro and green onions. Serve.