crunchy cabbage and kale salad is chock full of good things.
Don’t like kale, you say? Not fond of brussel sprouts? Not a cabbage aficionado? I get it. Unless you’re a rabbit, this salad probably wouldn’t even be a blip on your radar. It wouldn’t have been on mine either, except that this is what I had on hand one night and I decided to mix it up.
And guess what? This is now the most requested salad at our house now! Go figure. In fact, I made it when Emily came home from college one weekend and she went totally
apeshit –um, gaga — over it. True story – after her second bite, she shrieked, “What did you put in here? CRACK?”
Thus, it has become known as Crack Salad in our house.
I almost named the post Crack Salad, but then I thought about the realities that implied and I decided that my calm, suburban life should continue unfettered by the likes of local law enforcement.
But this salad is really good. No, R-E-A-L-L-Y! It has everything. Crispy pancetta, tangy feta cheese, sweet cranberries, crunchy pecans and a lemony poppyseed dressing! Oh, yeah — and kale, cabbage and brussel sprouts – which frankly, make this a whole lot more interesting than plain leaf lettuce!
It also happens to be a stellar way to stick to New Year’s resolutions. Ok, I may have slid a bit on that. Don’t judge me. I’ll get there eventually. Or not.
- 3 cups kale, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup thinly sliced brussel sprouts (stems removed)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup diced pancetta
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- one lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or grape seed oil
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place pecans on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Add pancetta and cook until golden brown. With a slotted spoon transfer pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In a small bowl add the sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, kosher salt, oil, grated onions, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine the kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts, carrot and cranberries. Add the lemon juice to the salad and toss to combine. Add pecans, pancetta and feta cheese. Dress the salad with enough salad dressing to evenly coat the greens, but don't overdo it. If there's leftover dressing, save it for another salad. Serve.