dried cherry, pecan and cardamom krispies
Truth be told, chocolate chip isn’t my favorite cookie. That is to say, I’m not crazy about the chocolate. (I know, sacrilege.) When I made them, I would always keep one or two cookies loaded with pecans, but sans chips — just for me. I love the buttery-sweet taste of the cookie. I love the crunch of the nuts. But the melty chocolate, which everyone else swoons over — for me, eh – not so much. It got me thinking, why not use that cookie dough as a springboard for something else.
And since I hadn’t posted a cookie recipe in well, ever, I though I should rectify that omission. A quick survey of the pantry came up with dried cherries, pecans and rice krispies. It sounded promising.
When reaching for the vanilla extract, I saw a container of cardamom. Hmmm. Cardamom has a spicy, floral quality that’s more complex than the standard cinnamon sprinkle. I thought it would work with these ingredients.
The result was a crispy little marvel with a sweet chew from the dried cherries and a maple-y crunch from the pecans. The rice krispies, which virtually disappear to the naked eye, provided the additional crunch I was hoping for. The cardamom added spice and depth to these buttery cookies. Yum! The perfect cookie. All for me! Except for Scott who can’t seem to pass by without hearing their siren call.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup crisp rice cereal
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pecans on a baking sheet and bake until toasted and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a large bowl combine butter and both sugars. With a hand mixer on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- In a smaller bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cardamom. Whisk to blend. Add flour to butter mixture in 2-3 stages, stirring thoroughly after each addition.
- Roughly chop pecans. Add pecans, cherries, and rice cereal to cookie dough. Stir to combine. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven. Transfer cookies to a baking rack to cool completely.