peach cherry almond crisp – a delicious summery dessert
Does your sweet tooth lean in a particular direction? Does it yearn for ice cream? Lighter than air cake with swirls of frosting? Sweet, creamy puddings? Custard pies with mountains of meringue? I am an absolute sucker for fruit crisps. If I’m out to dinner and there is a new york style cheesecake or a fruit crisp on the menu, I’m going for the crisp. Death By Chocolate or a warm fruit filling topped with a sweet crunchy streusel ? No contest. CRISP!
Of course, I like those other desserts, but I like crisps better. Probably because my Mom made them so often when I was growing up. She would usually fix an apple crisp, but sometimes she’d use peaches, or berries, sometimes a combination of fruits. I think this is where my allegiance comes from.
In case there’s any doubt of my crisp devotion, let me remind you of my recent cherry apricot almond crisp, last fall’s apple and cranberry crumble and herbed pear and cranberry crisp. I know, it borders on obsession.
There’s an emotional satisfaction too. Something akin to curling up on the couch with a snuggly blanket on a cold, rainy day. The aromas from a baking fruit crisp give me that kind of comfort.
I know what you’re thinking – “Great, Lisa. Love the crisp — but hello? — I can’t get fresh peaches until next summer”. I hear you — but here’s a little secret — while this crisp is absolutely divine with fresh peaches, frozen or even canned will work. (If frozen, thaw them first, if using canned – in light syrup preferably – drain them well.)
This is a homey dessert, but you can company-it-up by serving with a small glass of amaretto or sherry.
Either way, don’t wait until next summer to try this one!
- 2 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced, OR 3 cups frozen peaches, thawed, OR 2 cans peaches in light syrup, drained
- 2 tablespoons amaretto or almond flavored liquor (such as DiSarronno)
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup, cut into small chunks + 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- vanilla, peach, butter-almond ice cream
- whipped cream
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add cherries and amaretto to a small bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds to warm amaretto and set aside to allow cherries to plump.
- Meanwhile, add brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, and salt to a small bowl Toss to combine. Add 1/4 cup of butter and using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour mixture until well mixed. Add almonds and work them into the crisp mixture. Set aside.
- Melt remaining two teaspoons butter in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add peaches, cherries in amaretto, sugar and cornstarch. Cook peach mixture for 2-3 minutes, until liquid thickens slightly. Remove pan from heat and divide crisp mixture in chunks on top of peaches.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crisp is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.