pineapple and mango salsa
Don’t you just want to dive into a bowl of this right now? I mean, “WOW!” And it’s as good as it looks — no better! It was good before I added the secret ingredient. After — well. Oh my Lord – flavor bomb!
You really can’t go wrong with this combination — sweet-tangy pineapple and syrupy perfumed mango with colorful, crunchy bell peppers and a little heat from onion, jalape?o and red chili pepper. Yum!
As I was dicing the fruit, I found myself popping any imperfect or uneven segments into my mouth (for quality control). Eventually I was standing over the sink with the remains of the mango pit, slurping and scraping every bit of flesh from the oval-shaped seed. It wasn’t pretty, but I was still reveling in the flavor when I finally wiped my chin with a wet paper towel.
I probably should have accounted for those five minutes in the recipe, because undoubtedly, you’ll suffer the same fate. To the fruit and peppers, I added the zest and juice of a lime along with a handful of chopped cilantro and mint for a fresh herbal pop.
But the secret ingredient is the ginger. Actually – the ginger juice. Ginger juice??? Yes. The juice is so concentrated that if you put a drop on your tongue it reacts like a a hot pepper. It’s zippy and peppery all at the same time and it takes this salsa from “that’s nice dear” to “slap yo Momma” good!
- 1 mango, peeled, cut into a 1/4" dice
- 1/2 cup of fresh pineapple, cut into a 1/4" dice
- 1 red baby bell pepper (or 1/4 of a whole bell pepper) cut into 1/4" dice
- 1 orange baby bell pepper (or 1/4 of a whole bell pepper) cut into 1/4" dice
- 1 yellow baby bell pepper (or 1/4 of a whole bell pepper) cut into 1/4" dice
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded finely diced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded, finely diced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 1" knob of ginger, peeled
- In a medium bowl combine the diced, mango, pineapple, bell peppers, red onion, jalapeño and chili pepper. Toss to combine.
- Add the lime zest and juice, cilantro and mint. Toss to combine.
- Use a microplane grater to grate the ginger onto a cutting board. Carefully scoop the ginger pulp into your hand or into a fine mesh sieve. Squeeze the pulp over a small bowl to capture all the ginger juice. Discard the ginger solids. Add the juice to the salsa and toss to combine.
- Taste for seasonings adding salt and freshly ground pepper if desired.
- Serve with chicken, pork, fish or shellfish.