If you’ve seen my recipes before, you know that when my bananas get past their eating-prime and start to go brown/black, I stick them in the freezer to keep until I’m ready to use them — that way I don’t feel pressured into whipping up a banana bread on a Tuesday night at 8:00, when I really should be folding that pile of laundry, instead. Well, it just so happens that a frozen over-ripe banana is just the thing for making a frothy, creamy, lush tropical blood orange smoothie! Who knew?
Normally, I use all fresh fruit when making a smoothie, but I happened to have some frozen pineapple and mango pulp in the freezer and thought, why not? I let the pulp defrost for about 10 minutes, so it was still icy — but not frozen solid, then I got to work — and by work, I mean I peeled the banana, the orange and the kiwi. Easy-peasy — although getting the peel off a frozen banana did make my fingers go numb.
I loaded all the fruit and fruit pulp into the blender, added some water and spun it to oblivion. The banana adds a creaminess to the smoothie and the play of tangy blood orange with tart pineapple, sweet mango and fragrant kiwi will make your mouth do a happy dance!
I confess, I’m not a smoothie aficionado. I’ve seen tons of blogs that espouse the benefits of chia-this and flax-that, they mix in protein powders and pile nuts and seeds onto their smoothie bowls. Not me. I like to keep it simple. Emily calls my attitude boring, but I prefer to think of myself as a purist. And this is pure heaven.
- 1 overripe banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup frozen mango pulp or 1/2 cup chilled mango, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple pulp or 1/2 cup chilled pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1 blood orange, peeled and cut into chunks, reserve a small piece for garnish
- 1 chilled kiwi, peeled and cut into chunks, reserve a small piece for garnish
- 1/2-3/4 cup cold water
- Combine the fruit and fruit pulp in a blender. Add 1/2 cup water and blend to puree. If mixture is too thick add additional 1/4 cup of water and continue to blend until fruit is smooth. Pour into glasses, garnish and serve.
- If you're using fresh pineapple and mango instead of the frozen pulp, make sure its ice cold.