Cool Mint Cookie Chip Ice Cream
If you’re a mint fan, this cool mint cookie chip ice cream should be on your to do list. It’s a homemade, churned ice cream with loads of crushed chocolate wafers, chocolate chips and a cool mint ice cream. The best.
In all of my ice cream frenzy this summer, I have neglected to make the one flavor that is my daughter’s absolute favorite. Bad Mother. So, this is especially for her. She is a mint fanatic. I mean F-A-N-A-T-I-C! Anything with or involving chocolate and peppermint immediately rises to the top spot on her must have list.
And this one delivers! Cool Mint Cookie Chip is rich and creamy with a jolting hit of icy mint, premium chocolate chunks and crispy chocolate wafer cookies. Emily’s reaction was, “Ohmagod!”
Ohmagod is right. It is luscious and deeply flavored. This ice cream doesn’t have a back note of mint, but rather a full on mint-assault. POW!
The chips and wafer cookies add extra texture and crunch, though I think I got more flavor from the cookies than the chips. But this was for Emily – and she wanted chips!
Next time, and yes, she insists there will be a next time (probably in the next week or so) she wants to try a peppermint stick ice cream with bits of starlight mints or candy canes. I’m telling you, the kid’s a fanatic.
If you’re a fanatic too, pair this ice cream with my Dark Chocolate Mint Sauce for good measure.
Table of Contents
More ice cream recipes you might like:
- Cherry Nougat Crunch Ice Cream
- Stout Caramel Pretzel Ice Cream
- Blueberry Swirl Key Lime Ice Cream
- Homemade Peach Nilla Wafer Ice Cream
- Legendary Rum Raisin Ice Cream
Tried this recipe? Leave a rating and review.
Your comments and shares are invaluable to me and the thousands of readers who use this site daily. If you've made the recipe, leave a star rating and review. We want to hear how you liked it.
We'd love it if you shared the recipe with your friends on social media!
Cool Mint Cookie Chip Ice Cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- ½ cup premium dark chocolate chips use mini chips or if they’re larger, chop them into smaller pieces
- ½ cup chocolate wafer cookies broken into 1/2″ pieces
- In a large bowl beat the sugar into the eggs until thick and pale yellow. Add the cornstarch and beat until combined. Set aside.
- Bring the half and half to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan.
- While the mixer is running, very slowly stream the hot cream into the egg mixture. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Don’t let it come to a boil, or the eggs will scramble.
- Set a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and strain the custard through the sieve to remove any egg solids. Allow the custard to cool for 10 minutes, then stir in the cream and peppermint extract. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until very cold, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Stir the chilled custard, then make the ice cream according to your ice cream maker’s manufacturers instructions. When ice cream is still soft, but coming together( about three quarters of the way through the churning process) add the chocolate chips and cookie pieces. When finished, transfer the ice cream to a freezer container and chill until firm, about 2 hours. Serve.
This looks easy to make. My kids would love it.
All kids love it!
Oh yums! I have the same ice cream machine so I can totally make this. Sweeeeet!
Kat | http://www.PersianKittyKat.com
You can TOTALLY make this!
This looks so yummy–especially on a hot summer day! XO, Ashley | itsapashion.com
Glad you like it, Ashley!
Looks delicious! Such a nice mom!! 🙂
LOL! She doesn’t always think I’m a nice Mom, believe me!
Oh my goodness, this look delicious!
Thanks, Michelle – it’s one of our favorites!
This is one of our favorite flavor ice creams in my house. My kids would go through this quickly. Might have to make two batches. Yum!
Two is better than one!
me and your daughter have a connection because as I was reading this I was thinking am going to add some oreo cookies and just go crazy with it! Maybe she should write us some recipes, I vote for this
You should hear some of the things she “comes up with” for me to cook!
Why do I not have an ice cream machine yet!!!! So delicious! Just looking at your pictures cooled me down….
Must buy an ice cream maker! Put it on your birthday wish list!
Mint choc chip has been my main craving during pregnancy, but I haven’t been able to find it anywhere. I am going to have to make my own!
You must acquiesce to all pregnancy cravings! Mine was Ben and Jerry’s Coffee Heath Bar Crunch!
Delicioso, this is bookmarked for when summer hits Sydney again!
We are feeling the heat in South Florida! It’s another 6 months before we get a reprieve!
Oh my goodness! This looks absolutely mouthwatering… I’m stalking all your icecream recipes now!