This is an indulgence for me. I usually take my coffee black. No sugar. No half and half. Black. I used to like it sweet and creamy, but in college, there was rarely fresh milk in our dorm-style fridge — so I got used to black/one sugar. Then, after I got into the real world, I decided I didn’t need the excess sugar and eliminated that too. Now, I drink two to three cups of java a day — very hot and without embellishment.
Which is why this Irish Mocha Latte is an extravagance for me. Practically a dessert — I mean, it’s got a chocolate bar in it. But I figured for St. Patty’s Day, a little Irish Mocha might be a tasty treat. It’s not overly sweet, but tastes rich and deep with a hint of Bailey’s and a generous swirl of whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Oh-ma-GAWD!
And really, it’s just a matter of whisking grated chocolate into hot milk until it melts then adding some strong coffee and a bit of Baily’s to the blend.
It coats your tongue without being cloying. If you have a sweet tooth, you might want to use milk chocolate instead of the bittersweet that I used and add some more sugar, but if dark chocolate and coffee are your thing, this will hit the spot!
Irish Mocha Latte
For Each Latte
- 1.5 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate I used Scharrfenberger, but Ghirardelli or Lindt would be good too
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup strong hot coffee
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream
- whipped cream
- additional chocolate shavings
- Use a microplane grater to finely grate the chocolate. Very carefully, transfer the chocolate shavings to a bowl (be careful - they are so light, they will become airborne and dust your kitchen with particles if you make any sudden movements -- and DON'T SNEEZE).
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until just hot, but not boiling. Remove from heat and whisk the chocolate shavings into the hot milk until they dissolve. Add the hot coffee, sugar and Bailey's. Whisk until well combined and pour into individual mugs.
- Top with a little whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired.
Don’t Forget To “Pin It” For Later!