“I couldn’t possibly eat an entire mini muffin!” said no-one — EVER! Because that’s really the point, isn’t it? It’s a MINI muffin – and therefore, you’ll always have room on your plate and in your stomach for one little morsel of sweet, right? Especially these Crunchy Banana Chip Mini Muffins, loaded with almonds, mini chocolate chips and coconut – they’re kind of a cross between an Almond Joy and Chunky Monkey. And they don’t suck!
I made these little one-bite wonders with every member of the family in mind. Banana for Scott. Coconut and almonds for me and the chocolate chips were ALL EMILY!
The original recipe came from The Foster’s Market Cookbook (affiliate link below), one of my favorite culinary reads. Of course, her recipe was scaled to make many more muffins than the three of us needed, so I reworked the measurements to make the yield more manageable.
As with any basic muffin recipe, you can add whatever mix-ins you like. Any kind of nuts would be great, particularly pecans or walnuts — I just happened to have almonds. You could swap out chocolate chips for toffee or white chocolate, and if you aren’t crazy about coconut, skip it and/or stir in some dried cranberries or banana chips. There are so many ways to customize!
You’ll want to have these on hand for your holiday brunches with the family or those office potluck parties but they’re also great to pack as a snack in the kids’ lunchbox or for that much needed 3:00 pick-me-up with a cup of coffee. 🙂
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Crunchy Banana Chip Mini Muffins
Tender sweet banana muffins with loads of chocolate chips, crunchy almonds and tropical coconut! A must for your next brunch!
- 2 cups + 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter 1/2 cup, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 extra large eggs
- 4 bananas overripe, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped roasted
- 3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips divided
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut , divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray mini muffin tins with nonstick vegetable spray or line with mini muffin liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar together. Add the eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition until the batter is creamy. Add the bananas and vanilla extract and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, mixing just until the ingredients are moistened.
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips with one teaspoon of flour and toss to coat. Add the chocolate chips, coconut and chopped almonds to the batter and stir until well combined. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, so they're not quite full. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and coconut.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out to a baking rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Also delicious served warm from the oven.