farro with pomegranate and apple – perfect for brown bagging
Sorry, I have to take a break from the comfort foods. It’s time to mix in a salad. I think you’ll like this one – full of fall flavors, and you won’t fall-on-the-floor-in-a-food-coma after you eat it! A-N-D — I purchased all of the ingredients at my new-favorite-store!
Trader Joe’s! I can’t tell you how excited I am! I’ve been there three days this week! I know most of you take TJs for granted, but speaking as someone who has only seen the inside of one when I’m visiting relatives in other states — I am thrilled! They’ve got a great selection of fruits and vegetables and the prices are ridiculously reasonable. (For those of you from Florida, you know what I’m talking about!)
Anyway, I found these beautiful pomegranates and gala apples at TJs, plus they have a private label grains section! I can’t tell you the boon this is to me. Whole Foods has tons of grains but they can be off-the-charts-expensive. Costco sells them too — in a two-year supply. It’s hit or miss at the grocery store. For example, they sell Israeli couscous, but not farro. Go figure.
The fact that I now have a Trader Joe’s within a mile of my home makes me GIDDY! I forsee a lot more of these wholesome salads in our future! This one is a perfect blend of fall fruits, hearty farro and fresh Tuscan kale. I thought an orange vinaigrette would be a good complement and it was, but you could substitute lemon for equally good results.
My favorite part of this dish is the way the pomegranate seeds pop when you bite them! A little burst of sweetness. Since this is made with kale instead of lettuce, it’s one of those salads that will hold up – even with the dressing — for several days, making this an ideal brown bag lunch for the week. Add a hardboiled egg or some leftover chicken for a dose of extra protein! It’s soooo good!
This hearty salad is loaded with flavor with sweet tart apples and juicy pomegranate seeds.
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup peeled seeded diced apple
- 2 cups tuscan kale finely chopped
- 2 scallions
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 orange zested
- 3 tablespoons fresh juice from the orange
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add farro, reduce heat to medium and cook for 25-30 minutes, until tender. Drain farro through a mesh sieve and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Combine the garlic, zest, orange juice, vinegar, oil, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl combine the pomegranate seeds, apple, kale, scallions and farro. Toss to combine. Add 3 tablespoons of the dressing to the salad and toss. If the salad still seems a little dry, add an additional tablespoon of dressing at a time -- tossing and tasting along the way. I always end up with extra dressing, which I stick in the refrigerator and use for another salad or even over some steamed green beans or asparagus (Yum!)