Post a comment and mention your favorite tailgate fare by Monday September 14th 2015 for a chance to win a special care package from Stubb’s Legendary BBQ!
This post is Sponsored by Stubb’s Legendary BBQ
Bah-bah-bah-baaaaaah! Do you recognize that sound? It’s the sound of me and millions of other ladies across the nation becoming football widows. And not just on Sunday. No. There’s Monday Night Football. And then (I don’t know who this genius was) but Thursday???? As if we couldn’t go four full days before those college games start up on Saturday. And don’t get me started on Fantasy Football leagues and drafting parties (more widowhood).
Frankly, one of the only football activities that I can truly rally around is the tailgate. An impromptu gathering with friends, fans and the people in the van next to you who brought a full-on gas grill and a Jimmy Buffet margarita maker! Everyone makes inventive and drool worthy dishes prepared with forethought and care
and there’s enough liquid lubricant to make the three hours after the tailgate bearable for me. In fact, I’m amazed, impressed and not just a little bit jealous at how my friends get into this activity.
So when Stubb’s Legendary BBQ asked me to try out some of their Anytime Sauces for a tailgating post, I finally felt like I was “part of the gang”. They sent me 3 sauces and 2 rubs. After contemplating the merits of each, I went with their Green Chili Anytime Sauce – made with hatch chili peppers and I paired it with chicken wings — grilled of course.
Whew! It is spicy — in a can’t feel your lips kind of way!
For this recipe I used their insanely good blend as a marinade and in a special dipping sauce for the wings. I augmented the flavors with fresh lime, garlic, some brown sugar and fresh cilantro and then I enlisted my grill master to render me perfectly crispy, juicy and tender tailgating fare!
And here’s the thing, while this produces an absolutely delicious result, it didn’t take any time to make. I didn’t spend all day doing prep work – the marinade took a few minutes and so did the dip. Stubb’s has made tailgating easy – and definitely elevated the party with their classic Rubs and Anytime Sauces. Don’t believe me? Make these wings! You’ll see! And you’ll be the hit of your next tailgate!
If you’d like to get your hands on some cool Stubb’s swag and their sauces, rubs and marinades, leave a comment and share your favorite tailgate treats below before Monday, September 14! One special somebody will receive a loaded care package directly from Stubb’s Legendary BBQ!
Thanks for supporting the brands that support Garlic + Zest
Hatch Chili Hot Wings
If you like spicy wings, you're gonna love these. Succulent, spicy and smoky at the same time! Elevate your tailgate!
- 4 pounds chicken wings cut into drums and flats
- 1 cup Stubb's Green Chili Anytime Sauce
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
for dipping sauce
- 1 cup sour cream can use regular, low-fat or fat-free
- 1/4 cup Stubb's Green Chili Anytime Sauce
- zest of one lime
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- jalapeños thinly sliced
- queso fresco crumbled
- lime wedges
- cilantro leaves
For the chicken wings
- In a small bowl combine the Stubb's Green Chili Anytime Sauce with the garlic, brown sugar, lime zest and juice and whisk. Place the chicken wings in a zip-top plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the wings, seal the bag and let marinate for several hours.
For the dipping sauce
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir together. Chill until ready to use.
Grill the wings
- Heat the grill to a medium high heat, about 400 degrees, and arrange the wings on the grates so they don't fall through. Cook until wings are crispy and cooked through, turning once or twice. about 15-20 minutes. Watch for hot spots on the grill, since the marinade has brown sugar, it may have a tendency to flame.
- Transfer wings to a platter and sprinkle with jalapeño slices, queso fresco, lime wedges and cilantro. Serve with dipping sauce.