This post has been updated for recipe, content and photography since its original publication in 2014.
Want an easy, foolproof vegetarian quiche recipe that the whole family loves? This kale and mushroom quiche delivers. It’s packed with fresh fresh vegetables and gruyere cheese, with an quick, egg custard filling. Use a ready made pie crust to keep the prep simple and enjoy this tasty, cheesy kale quiche for weekend brunches or even a light dinner. This easy quiche dish can be made ahead and it freezes well too!
Quiche Is A Family Favorite Brunch Dish
Quiche has always been a favorite savory brunch item in our family. When we’ve got visiting friends or relatives who are staying overnight, it’s an easy make-ahead brunch item with a little more polish than a dump-and-go egg casserole and it will easily serve 6 hungry diners or 8 as part of a larger meal.
Ingredients For Kale Mushroom Quiche
- 9″ Pie Pastry
- Button Mushrooms
- Curly Kale
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Thyme
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Gruyere Cheese
Sweat The Vegetables
This savory vegetarian quiche recipe starts with the mushrooms. Mushrooms naturally contain a lot of water. In fact, if you heat a dry pan over a medium high heat and add mushrooms to it, within a minute or so, they’ll actually start to give up their liquid and you’ll find them wet with their own juices – despite the fact that the pan was dry to start.
I’m saying this because the amount of oil may seem like it’s not enough, and the mushrooms will automatically soak up what’s there — and you’ll think, “Geez, I need to add more oil”.
Don’t. Just give the mushrooms a few minutes and they’ll release the liquid. That’s when you add the onions, red pepper flakes and bundle of thyme.
Curly kale is a great way to add fiber to this this quiche dish, but it does need to be wilted before mixing it with the other vegetables.
Prepping Kale For Kale Mushroom Quiche
- Remove the tough stems from the kale and discard.
- Roughly chop the kale and transfer to the sauté pan, stirring while the kale sizzles.
- Stir in the water and cover the pan to give the kale a brief steam, which will wilt the leaves.
- When the kale is softened, add the mushroom and onion mixture and stir to combine.
You can customize this vegetarian quiche recipe with just about any cheese that you have on hand. My personal favorite is Gruyere, but any of the ones listed below will be deliciously balanced in this kale and mushroom quiche. When you’re shredding the cheese, use the fine side of the box grater, so that the shreds are whisper thin and melt easily into the quiche custard.
Best Cheeses For Kale Quiche
- Monterey Jack
- White Cheddar
Assembling Vegetarian Quiche Filling
Nutmeg is a classic ingredient to add to quiche custards. You don’t need a lot, but it adds an interesting (not sweet) flavor that enhances the gruyere, swiss or emmental cheese in the quiche dish. Just whisk the custard ingredients together until well combined and then fold in the sautéed vegetables and grated cheese.
Fill & Bake
- Fill the par-baked pie crust with the kale and egg custard filling.
- Sprinkle a little extra cheese over the top and bake the kale quiche until the filling is set.
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting into it.
I love the way the house smells while the kale and mushroom quiche is baking. Its savory aroma will make your tummy rumble. It takes about an hour (maybe a little more) to bake and while it does, you can make some bacon or sausage to go with it and you’ll definitely want to pour some mimosas or bloody marys too.
One of the best things about quiche is that you can make it ahead of time and reheat it just before serving. It even freezes well and can be kept for up to a month.
For A Make Ahead Quiche Dish
- Make the quiche as directed and let it cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- When you’re ready to serve it, remove the quiche from the refrigerator and let it rest on the counter for about half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325° and heat the quiche for 20-25 minutes or until warmed through.
- If the crust starts to brown too much, rest a piece of foil over it.
More Vegetarian Quiche Recipes:
- Roasted Bell Pepper and Artichoke Quiche
- Fresh Spinach and Goat Cheese Quiche
- Quick and Easy Crustless Vegetable Quiche
- Caramelized Onion and Thyme Quiche
- Wild Mushroom and Asparagus Quiche
What To Serve With Kale and Mushroom Quiche:
- Homemade Applewood Smoked Bacon
- Winter Citrus Salad with Sherry Vinegar Dressing
- Homemade Ham with Brown Sugar Mustard Glaze
- Glazed Cherry Almond Coffee Cake
- Simple Citrus Almond Salad
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Kale and Mushroom Quiche
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 8 ounces button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- scant 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme tied in a bundle
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 3-4 stems curly kale stems removed, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 3 tablespoons water
- 5 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese can also use emmenthal, swiss, fontina
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place pie pastry into glass or ceramic pie plate. Firmly press bottom and sides into plate and finish the edges of the crust by pressing the tines of a fork against the rim of the crust, or by pursing the edges together between your thumb and forefinger. Refrigerate crust until oven has heated completely. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the crust and fill it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes until set and just starting to brown. Remove crust from oven and set aside to cool
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add mushrooms and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and the red pepper flakes. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the mushrooms start to give up their liquid Add onions and bundle of thyme. Cook 2-3 minutes, until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a small bowl.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet and add chopped kale and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir in the water, cover and steam until kale is wilted and water has evaporated, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add kale to onion mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add eggs, milk, cream, nutmeg, remaining salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add kale mixture, and grated cheese to the egg mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Pour filling into pie crust and spread it out evenly. Top with additional cheese if desired. Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until filling is set. Remove from oven. Let quiche rest for 15 minutes before slicing.
Pin “Kale and Mushroom Quiche” For Later!