Everyone loves a good Top 10 list, right? Well, since we’re at the end of another year, I put together a Top 10 Recipes of 2018! This year, I’ve posted 130 new recipes, and picking one or even 10 would be purely subjective. “Top 10” is a relative term, after all. Are these the best recipes or are they the most noticed, the ones that received the most attention or the one’s that Google anointed to prominence? Since “best” is in the eye of the beholder, I decided to go with a more quantitative value. The Top 10 Recipes from Garlic & Zest with the most social shares… a more democratic “vote for your favorite” approach.
Looking back, this year has definitely had it’s ups and downs.
On The Personal Side:
- The best times for me this year were having my daughter graduate from college — and get her first real job in her field, move out of our nest to her own post-graduate digs – Go Emily!
- My cousin, Katrina had a beautiful baby boy in May who is absolutely precious and adored by the whole family. His cheeks are the most kiss-able things on the planet.
- My husband and I celebrated 14 years of marriage with a weekend trip to New Orleans — #BestFoodCityEver.
- I had two girls’ trips this year! My first was with my friend, and fellow photographer, Jill who gave me a delicious food tour through Raleigh North Carolina.
- My second trip was to Denver with my gal pal, Nola. She carted me all over the great state of Colorado and we ate countless bowls of green (chili – that is).
- However, those happy times were tempered by the sudden, tragic loss of my grandfather in September – he was the center of our family and we miss him terribly.
- I’ve been at this gig for 5 years and have published 675 recipes!
- I’ve hit several milestones this year in terms of page views and visitors and my recipes have been featured in multiple well-known online publications.
- In June, I attended the Fancy Foods Show in New York and connected with other bloggers I’d only previously known online. Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking toured the food show together and ate our weight in salumi and cheese (see photo above).
- I was nominated for Best Recipe Blogger in South Florida and have made it to the semi-finals thanks to your votes! Winners will be announced in January — fingers crossed!
- I’ve made (and eaten) a lot of good food… which brings us to this post. The Top 10 Recipes of 2018…
When I scanned back through my analytics from the past year, these are the dishes that really got your attention:
Top 10 2018
Creamy Dijon Asparagus — a quick and easy side dish that just makes life less complicated. You gotta love that — and apparently many of you did!
4-Ingredient Baked Salmon Pesto won a spot in the Top 10 — and I think it’s because everyone wants a quick and easy, healthy, delicious dinner to throw together in an instant. This one fits the bill!
Sparkling Cara Cara Margaritas were all the rage around Cinco De Mayo this year. The fresh citrus flavors and jolt of tequila make everyone feel like celebrating!
This Classic Cheesesteak Sandwich (which I made in honor of the Philadelphia Eagles for the last Super Bowl) was a controversial sandwich. The amount of hate mail I received for this sandwich was unprecedented. I’m not from Philly – so I couldn’t say this was an authentic cheesesteak — I made it the way we like it, with thinly pounded rib-eye, peppers and onions, sans the canned glowing-neon cheese-food — but apparently it wasn’t good enough for die-hard Philly Cheesesteak fanatics. That said, there were enough people who simply like a tasty cheesesteak to put this rendition firmly in the Top 10 for 2018!
Deep Fried Oysters with Remoulade have claimed #5 in the Top 10! This recipe, courtesy of my friend, chef and angler, Joe Cascio, continues to deliver… and why not with its crispy cornmeal crust and luscious dipping sauce, we’d eat this anytime, right?!
This recipe has only been live on the website for three weeks, but has quickly picked up steam. Chocolate Dipped Toasted Pecan Shortbread Cookies are certainly a treat for the holidays — but if we’re honest, we’d enjoy them on any random Tuesday!
These Small Batch Turtle Cupcakes were for my husband’s birthday, made for just the two of us. They were a big hit with him AND you! Could it be the deeply chocolatey cake? The luscious caramel frosting? Maybe the toasted Pecans? Or is it the final drizzle of creamy caramel that put you over the edge? One thing’s for sure, this recipe is a keeper!
This spicy Cajun’ inspired Red Bean and Sausage Soup had everyone clambering for their Dutch ovens. This soup hits the spot with loads of tongue-tingling spices, meaty kielbasa and tender, creamy red beans. It’s one we make at least two to three times per season. You’ll want to see what all the fuss is about…
…And The #1 Recipe From Garlic & Zest For 2018 Is…
Warm Lemon Butter Lobster Rolls were the runaway smash hit of 2018. With over 55,000 social shares, it still continues to trend on Facebook. There were a few squeamish souls who didn’t appreciate the way I dispatched the lobsters (steamed alive), but overall, the response was overwhelmingly positive. These lobster rolls were for our annual Super Bowl spread — where we honor the two teams by serving foods representative of the regions of the country that the teams are from. New England was back — and since we’d already had Clam Chowder and Clam Chowda Pizza in the past… these buttery lemon spiked lobster rolls were a winner. But seriously, Tom Brady — could you give another team a chance???
I’ll be posting fare for the next Super Bowl in the week after the two teams are announced, so stay tuned. I hope you’ve enjoyed this walk down memory lane! I know, I have and I’m looking forward to making more memories in 2019! Happy New Year!