Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Mandatory on January 1st for luck and prosperity, but delicious every other day of the year, too!
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño seeds and membranes removed if you don't like spice, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa cut into 2 inch chunks
- 6 cups frozen black-eyed peas (or one pound dried - soaked overnight and cooked to al dente)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- cooked rice
- additional fresh cilantro
- hot sauce if desired
In a large dutch oven or heavy pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add kielbasa and cook until browned and some fat has rendered into the pot, about 5-6 minutes.
Add onions, celery and carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes, until slightly softened. Add cumin and bay leaf, stir to coat vegetables with cumin.
Add black eyed peas and broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until peas are tender and creamy.
Remove from heat and stir in the garlic and cilantro.
Serve over rice with additional cilantro or hot sauce, if desired.
Calories: 649kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 818mg | Potassium: 1641mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1445IU | Vitamin C: 10.3mg | Calcium: 159mg | Iron: 11.5mg