Hatch Pepper Skillet Cornbread Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
This rustic cornbread is loaded with Southwestern Flavors and fire roasted Hatch Chile Peppers for a little kick. Cheddar cheese makes this skillet cornbread recipe irresistible.
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill medium-grind yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1 roasted red bell pepper (can use jarred roasted bell pepper) or roast in a 375° oven for 25-30 minutes; transfer pepper to a bowl covered in plastic wrap to cool; remove skins and seeds) Reserve a few slices to decorate the top, if desired.
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears) Reserve a few kernels to decorate the top, if desired.
- 1/2 cup fire roasted hatch chiles peeled, seeded and chopped (can use canned hatch chiles)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (can use monterey jack or pepper jack if preferred). Reserve about 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top, if desired.
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter for the skillet
FOR THE ROASTED BELL PEPPER
Place the oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°. Place a whole pepper on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes or until the skin is blackened and the flesh is tender. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool.
REDUCE THE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO 350° Place the 12" cast iron skillet into the oven to preheat.
FOR DRY INGREDIENTS:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, cayenne pepper and kosher salt. Whisk together and set aside.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and sour cream. Add the eggs and whisk to combine. Stream in the melted butter while whisking constantly.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just to combine so that there's no dry bits of flour left. Don't overmix.
Stir in the cheddar cheese, chopped roasted bell pepper, hatch green chiles and cilantro.
Use a pair of potholders to remove the cast iron skillet from the hot oven and place it on the stovetop. Add the remaining two tablespoons of butter to the skillet and swirl it intthe pan to coat the bottom.
Spoon the cornbread batter into the pan and smooth into an even layer. If using extra bell peppers, corn kernels and cheddar cheese to decorate the top, add them now.
Place the skillet back into the hot oven and bake for 80-90 minutes. If the cornbread starts to get too dark, place a sheet of tin foil over the skillet -- this will prevent it from becoming too dark on top. Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before cutting into wedges to serve.
Calories: 500kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 803mg | Potassium: 432mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1070IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 284mg | Iron: 3mg