Hearty Vegetable Minestrone
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
An easy and delicious vegetarian soup with all your favorites!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion 1/2" dice
- 2 stalks celery 1/2" dice
- 3 large carrots 1/2" slice
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seed lightly crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 15 ounce can kidney beans not drained
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes in their juice
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 pound red skinned potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2" dice
- 1/2 pound green beans trimmed and cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup small pasta such as orzo, pastini, ditalini or alphabets
- 3 large leaves curly kale tough stems removed, roughly chopped
In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Stir in the onions, carrots, celery and salt. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender and the onions and celery start to look translucent.
Stir in the fennel, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper and garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic. Add the vegetable broth, bay leaves, kidney beans in their liquid, diced tomatoes in their liquid and crushed tomatoes and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add the chopped potato, green beans and quinoa. Bring the pot back to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until the potato is tender. Stir in the pasta and kale and cook until the pasta is done, about 8-10 minutes.
Ladle the minestrone into bowls and serve with saltines or oyster crackers. Also good with grated parmesan cheese.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1405mg | Potassium: 862mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 7537IU | Vitamin C: 45mg | Calcium: 125mg | Iron: 4mg