Farmers Market Open Face Sandwich
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
This brunch-type sandwich is healthy and satisfying!
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard I used regular dijon and whole grain
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon mint fresh, finely chopped, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons basil fresh, finely chopped (optional)
For the Sandwiches
- 2 slices whole wheat or multigrain bread
- 4 cups baby lettuces such as frisbee, escarole, arugula, spring mix or Bibb, torn
- 4 ounces smoked salmon thinly sliced
- 1 ripe tomato sliced
- 1/2 Haas avocado ripe, sliced
- olive oil for frying - about 3 tablespoons
- 2 eggs or more, depending on if you want 1 per sandwich or 2 - appetites vary
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower sprouts optional
- 2 tablespoons Pea sprouts optional
In a small bowl combine the whole grain mustard, dijon, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify. Stir in the chopped herbs and set aside.
Toast the bread. While bread is toasting, add 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing to the greens and toss to coat. Set aside.
Line a dish with paper towels and set aside. Heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. When oil is very hot, but not quite smoking, add the eggs. Pan will sputter and hiss (so wear an apron and be careful). Tilt the pan slightly and use a spoon to scoop the hot oil and spoon it over the egg whites until they are fully cooked, use a spatula to transfer the eggs to the dish with paper towels to drain.
Meanwhile assemble the sandwich
Lay a piece of toast on each plate and mound 1/4 of the dressed greens onto the toast. Layer 2-3 slices of ripe tomato, followed by the smoked salmon and avocado slices. Mound the rest of the salad greens and top each plate with a frizzled egg. Garnish with sprouts if desired. This is a knife and fork "sandwich".
Calories: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 176mg | Sodium: 994mg | Potassium: 758mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6415IU | Vitamin C: 26.5mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 3.9mg