Easy Cajun Skillet Jambalaya
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
This simple recipe has delicious Cajun flavors and is ready to eat in about half an hour. Adjust the spice level to your tastes!
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups diced ham Tasso Ham if you can find it
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 5-6 stems of thyme tied with kitchen string
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped
Heat a large skillet (with a lid) over medium high heat. Add olive oil and ham and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the celery, onion, bell pepper, poblano and garlic and stir. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are tender and onions are slightly translucent.
Add the salt, pepper and cayenne and mix together thoroughly. Add the thyme and rice and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover tightly with the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes and cook, covered for 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and cover with the lid for 3-4 minutes or until shrimp are opaque. Add the frozen peas and stir. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 173mg | Sodium: 1465mg | Potassium: 517mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1025IU | Vitamin C: 63.5mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 3.4mg