Every year this happens to me… I think of at least ten things I want to post about for Valentine’s Day and invariably, I’m scrambling at the last minute to make one. I always have lofty intentions of some luscious mood-inducing meal, or libido enhancing dessert — but here we are — less than a week out and I’ve got nothing… So I’m going with the sure-fire route to romance… Alcohol! This is a good one, friends. Even the name is kind of titillating… Crimson Kiss…
Despite the pomegranate-cherry juice, this is not a frou-frou beverage. It’s a cocktail like this French 75. As in — get out your cocktail shaker, jiggers and those fun little cocktail picks collecting dust in the back of your crystal cabinet. I mean it. You can’t do romance with jelly jars.
I used Pom Wonderful for this cocktail because it’s the perfect shade of red, don’t you think? Plus, it’s not saccharine-sweet… If anything it’s more tart and puckery than sugary. Perfect for sipping. Add a shot of vodka and amaretto liquor to the pom-juice as well as some fresh lemon and bitters.
Fill the glass portion of the Boston Shaker with ice and secure the tin tumbler over the glass. Give it several good shakes to agitate the ingredients and chill them into an icy love potion. Strain the drink into two coupe glasses and garnish (or not). Aside from being a sophisticated vessel for your drink, the coupe is meant for this type of cocktail — hold the drink by the stem, that way your hand doesn’t warm up the contents of the glass.
I can pretty much guarantee that if you’re sipping this with someone you love (and your not talking politics) the evening will progress… as it should.
More Elegant Cocktails:
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
- 4 ounces pomegranate juice cocktail I used Pom Wonderful Cherry Pomegranate
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces amaretto I used DiSorrono
- 1/2 ounce lemon juice fresh
- 6 drops bitters I used Angostura
- 1 Twist of lemon
- 1 Maraschino cherry
- In the glass portion of a Boston Shaker, combine the pomegranate juice, vodka, amaretto, lemon juice and bitters. Fill the glass with ice and secure the metal tumbler over the glass.
- Shake the cocktail and ice together about 5-6 times to agitate the ice and chill the cocktail quickly. Strain the cocktail into two coupe glasses.
- Garnish with a twist of lemon and maraschino cherry, if desired.
Pin “Crimson Kiss” For Later!