If you have ranch dressing from a packet in your pantry, toss it out. This homemade buttermilk ranch dressing uses fresh herbs and everyday spices for an easy ranch dressing recipe that adds zip to your salads, punch to your crudite platter and oomph to your sandwiches. Once you’ve made ranch dressing from scratch you’ll never go back.
I admit, this isn’t my recipe. It’s actually a restaurant ranch dressing recipe, from The Publican a bar/restaurant in Chicago. No, I’ve never been there, but after gobbling up their cookbook, The Publican – Repast and Present, Recipes and Ramblings from an American Beer Hall, this weekend, I want to. This is pub food elevated — WAY elevated. Approachable, mouthwatering, honest food that had me doing Travelocity searches for flights to Illinois. (I am currently planning my travel bucket list, not by destinations, but by restaurants I have to try.)
So you’re probably thinking — that’s a pretty big preamble for a homemade buttermilk ranch dressing — is that the ONLY THING that caught your eye? Well no. It’s just the only thing that fit the ingredients currently residing in my kitchen. Plus, my family loves ranch dressing from scratch, so win-win, right? I happened to have all the herbs because I’ve been on an herb omelette kick lately, but if you’ve got an herb garden — then you HAVE to make this easy ranch dressing recipe. I don’t think I could forgive you if you didn’t.
Ingredients for Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing:
Ok, so this might look like a daunting list — but (and maybe this is just me) most of them are standard things that you’ve probably already got in your pantry.
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Worcestershire Sauce
- White Wine Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
- Lemon Zest
- Lemon Juice
- Fresh Parsley
- Fresh Chives
- Fresh Tarragon
- Fresh Oregano
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
This is one of those mix it all in one bowl easy ranch dressing recipes. The only thing I’ll caution you on is the herbs. Do not substitute dried herbs for fresh. The fresh herbs make all the difference in this homemade buttermilk ranch dressing. The measurements for dried herbs would be less than the amount of fresh herbs called for because they’re stronger and more concentrated. Plus, if you’re using dried herbs — you might as well make the ranch dressing from a packet. 🙄
I stored the homemade buttermilk ranch dressing in a large mason jar in the fridge and once my family determined what it was, it didn’t last three days. Suddenly, salads became a very cool thing to eat. We literally had salad with a piece of grilled meat/fish two days in a row — at their request. I don’t know about your world, but that doesn’t happen in mine. This easy ranch dressing recipe has street cred in my book.
I’m planning on testing out more Publican recipes and sharing them with you, including their jaw dropping chicken — so simple and yet SO GOOD.
Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I like Hellman's or Duke's)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk shaken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh chives chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh tarragon chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, cayenne, Dijon, sugar, fish sauce, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, chives, tarragon and oregano. Whisk together until smooth and creamy.
- Taste for seasonings and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Transfer the dressing to a glass container with a lid (I use a canning jar) and refrigerate for several hours so the flavors can marry and the dressing thickens. Serve over salad or with crudite.
- Dressing will keep up to one week in the refrigerator.
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
“Pin Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing” For Later!