Finally, to round out my ode to Dad week – these luscious, indulgent and totally over-the-top Chocolate Mocha Pecan Chunk Cookies. I figure Dad doesn’t want fruit desserts for his special day. No. He wants chocolate and these cookies REALLY deliver with four 4-ounce bars of chocolate! They’re chewy with a feather light crackly shell. I squeezed in a few pecans for crunch but let’s be honest this is about delivering chocolate to his belly.
So let’s get to it! Roughly chop two bars of chocolate and put them in a microwavable bowl. Zap the chocolate in 10-20 second increments until it’s melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
In another bowl, combine the sugar, eggs vanilla and espresso powder and beat until thick and creamy.
Mix the melted chocolate into the egg mixture, then add the flour, salt and leavener.
And now for the “chunks” in these cookies – another eight ounces of white and bittersweet chocolate and two cups of toasted chopped pecans. I know. We’ll mix in a salad next week. Promise!
At this point, you could just slink off to the closet with the bowl and spatula and no-one would be the wiser, but if you choose to actually bake the cookies, here’s what you’ll get: rubbly, chewy, crunchy, chocolate-overload bites of bliss. Make them for Dad or any other chocoholic that you know!
Also try these Small Batch Turtle Cupcakes for a special occasion.
Chocolate Mocha Pecan Chunk Cookies
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate I used 2 bars of Ghirardelli
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces white chocolate chunks or chips I used 1 bar of Ghirardelli- white chocolate
- 4 ounces chocolate chunks or chips I used 1 bar of Ghirardelli - semisweet chocolate
- 2 cups pecans
- Arrange the racks in the oven so that it separates the oven into thirds. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place pecans on a separate baking sheet and toast in the hot oven for 6-8 minutes until fragrant. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a small microwaveable bowl combine 8 ounces of the semisweet chocolate with the butter. Microwave in 10-20 second increments, stirring after each, until the chocolate and butter are melted and glossy. Do not over microwave. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, espresso powder and vanilla. Using electric beaters on medium high, beat until thick and well combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture and blend. Add the flour and mix until just combined. Roughly chop the toasted pecans and add them along with the white and dark chocolate chunks to the cookie mix. Stir to combine. Drop by heaping tablespoons, 2 inches apart, on the baking sheets.
- Place one cookie sheet on the top rack and the other on the bottom rack. Bake for 6-7 minutes, then swap the cookie sheets so that the bottom moves to the top and vice versa. Bake another 5-6 minutes until cookies are just set. Remove from oven and let cool 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet. Use a metal spatula to transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Cool completely before storing.
More Sweet Treats:
Don’t Forget To “Pin It” For Later!