egg, cheese and avocado sandwich
We’ve known each other a while now, right? You know how I like to cook. You know what I like to eat. But you may not know this about me. I am a die-hard egg lover. Specifically egg sandwiches.
I think it started with the Egg McMuffin. A perfectly portioned breakfast sandwich, with salty canadian bacon and cheese. I was probably eight when I had my first one and I have been infatuated with flavor and convenience ever since.
On nights when I just don’t feel like cooking — I’ll make an egg sandwich. Sometimes open-faced, sometimes not. Preferably with bacon, or ham, or sausage, but not always. And I like vegetables — things that make it feel like a sandwich. Lettuce, tomato, pickles. Even hot sauce, or barbecue sauce. Nothing is off-limits.
And I mean, nothing. One of my favorite things is scavenging leftovers in the fridge for suitable toppings. Chili? Sure. Sauteed mushrooms? Absolutely.
Today, I found a small tupperware of caramelized onions – the ideal golden topping for my perfectly fried egg.
I should warn you that this isn’t something you want to eat in front of other people. It’s a messy two-hander that you have to eat hunched over your plate – to catch whatever sneaks out. But, whatever — it’s glorious!
- 1 egg, fried
- 1 slice canadian bacon, fried
- 1 english muffin, toasted
- 1 slice pepper colby-jack cheese
- 1/4 avocado, mashed
- 1 slice ripe tomato
- 1/4 cup leftover caramelized onions, warmed through (optional, but recommended)
- salt and pepper to taste
- pat of butter
- Lay an english muffin half on a plate. Spread mashed avocado over the muffin - sprinkle with a little salt. Add a slice of tomato, then the bacon, slice of cheese and egg. Top with caramelized onions and the remaining muffin half. Inhale.