We’ve known each other a while now, right? You know how I like to cook. You know what I like to eat. But you may not know this about me. I am a die-hard egg lover. Specifically egg sandwiches. This egg cheese and avocado sandwich is my go-to quick and easy breakfast, lunch and dinner… and I aim to make it yours too!
Origins of my egg cheese and avocado sandwich
I think it started with the Egg McMuffin. A perfectly portioned breakfast sandwich, with salty canadian bacon and cheese. I was probably eight when I had my first one and I have been infatuated with flavor and convenience ever since.
On nights when I just don’t feel like cooking — I’ll make an egg sandwich. Sometimes open-faced, sometimes not. Preferably with bacon, or ham, or sausage, but not always. And I like vegetables — things that make it feel like a sandwich. Lettuce, tomato, pickles. Even hot sauce, or barbecue sauce. Nothing is off-limits.
Ingredients for egg cheese and avocado sandwich:
- Fried Egg
- Canadian Bacon
- English Muffin
- Colby Jack Cheese (or your favorite sliced variety)
- Ripe Avocado
- Ripe Tomato
- Caramelized Onions
- Pat of Butter
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
And I mean, nothing. One of my favorite things is scavenging leftovers in the fridge for suitable toppings. Chili? Sure. Sauteed mushrooms? Absolutely.
Today, I found a small tupperware of caramelized onions – the ideal golden topping for my perfectly fried egg.
This is not the kind of sandwich you eat in front of other people. It’s a messy, two-handed amalgam, best eaten whilst hunched over your plate – to catch whatever sneaks out. Whatever — it’s glorious!
More egg sandwiches you might like:
- Leftover Turkey and Egg Oven Sliders
- Open Faced Salmon Pepper Scramble
- Farmers Market Open Faced Sandwich
Egg Cheese and Avocado Sandwich
- 1 egg fried
- 1 slice canadian bacon fried
- 1 english muffin toasted
- 1 slice pepper colby-jack cheese
- 1/4 avocado mashed
- 1 slice ripe tomato
- 1/4 cup leftover caramelized onions optional, but recommended, warmed through
- salt and pepper to taste
- pat of butter
assemble the sandwich
- Lay an english muffin half on a plate. Spread mashed avocado over the muffin - sprinkle with a little salt. Add a slice of tomato, then the bacon, slice of cheese and egg. Top with caramelized onions and the remaining muffin half. Inhale.
“Pin It” For Later!