Diminutive. Petite. Small. Wee. Minute. PeeWee. Teensy. Pint-sized. Itsy-bitsy. What is it about foods shrunken down to a bite-sized capacity that creates such a buzz? Just the idea of sliders, chicken drumettes, sweet and savory tartlets, or individual-sized quiche cups – conjures images of fun, festive times, right? The same goes for these Glazed Lemon Poppyseed Mini Muffins!
Little two-bite wonders that make a coffee break feel like an occasion! I made these muffin-ettes with Mother’s Day in mind. My Mom is fairly health conscious. Her diet skews more towards fresh vegetables and grilled seafood than pastas and sweets. I know that if I put a basket of fresh full-sized muffins in front of her, she’d resist. If anything she’d insist on splitting one with my Dad (who, by the way has no such hesitation about polishing off a whole muffin or two himself).
But if I served her a basket of mini-muffins — that’s a different story. I mean, it’s mini. Ergo, less calories, less sugar. They’re a minor infraction, not something that derails all good intentions for the day. She’d definitely have one or two – or three.
Why not? They’re lilliputian versions of their bigger counterparts! And these muffins aren’t weighty sugar bombs! Instead they have a bright kick of lemon and a sweet glaze that only makes them feel indulgent! They add a lighthearted air to a special breakfast or brunch. And when the kids make them for Mom, she’ll feel very special — which is the whole point of Mother’s Day, right?
This recipe is one that can easily be assembled by small hands with a grownup supervising. Have the little ones whisk the dry ingredients in one bowl and wet in another. Then mix them together. Older children (or a grown-up) should spoon the batter into the muffin tins to bake. Once they’ve cooled, let the kids go to town glazing them! Glazed Lemon Poppyseed Mini Muffins will make Mom’s day!
Glazed Lemon Poppyseed Mini Muffins
For the Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 Meyer lemons zested, or one regular lemon, zested
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the Glaze
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice or milk -- if you like tart, use lemon -- for sweet, use milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Spray mini muffin tins with vegetable spray or place mini muffin liners in the pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and poppyseeds.
- In a large bowl whisk together the the milk, canola oil, eggs and lemon extract, and lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and bake for 11-13 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and and let cool for 5 minutes before turning the muffins out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, stir together the powdered sugar and juice or milk until smooth. Make sure the muffins are room temperature, then drizzle them with the glaze.
If you prefer a tart glaze -- use lemon juice for the glaze. If you prefer a sweet glaze, use the milk.
To make full-sized muffins, use a regular muffin tin and cook the muffins for 20 minutes.
More Breakfast Quick Breads:
“Pin It” For Later!