If your idea of cornbread is opening that little Jiffy Corn Muffin box… well, I won’t fault you for that. It’s quick, easy and sometimes we all just need that convenience. But if you’ve got a little more time on your hands and want something extra special — this is it!
As a Southern girl, I love good cornbread, but there are so many variations, you never know quite what you’re going to get. Some people swear by the drier, crunchier versions made in a cast iron skillet.
Others like a cakey-sweet style.
My favorite falls somewhere in between. It’s crumbly, but not too dry, a little sweet with solid corn flavor. This recipe came from America’s Test Kitchen and I think it’s spot on!
I augmented their recipe with some of my favorite mix-ins and came up with my new “go-to” cornbread. I will never stray again to the Jiffy box. Neither will you once you try it.
It’s liberally speckled with bits of fresh corn and jalapeños, crispy-smoky bacon, and sharp cheddar cheese. I don’t know whether to call it Southwestern or Southeastern-style, so I’m opting for Southern-style cornbread. It doesn’t matter, really. Just slice off a big piece and pass the butter, please.
Jalapeño Bacon Cheddar Cornbread
A savory, lightly spiced cornbread that goes great with barbecued chicken or ribs!
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal fine to medium grind
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, melted and cooled
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 jalapeno seeded, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a sheet of tin foil on a baking sheet. Place a wire rack on top of the tin foil. Lay bacon strips on the wire rack and bake for 20-25 minutes until crisp. Chop the bacon and set aside.
- Prepare a square or round 9" cake pan (glass or metal) by spraying it liberally with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Add the brown sugar, corn, and buttermilk to a blender or food processor. Pulse for 5 seconds. Add the eggs and pulse for another 5 -8 seconds until well combined (note: it will still be lumpy from the corn).
- Make a deep well in the flour mixture. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour. Use a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not over mix. Add the butter and fold it into the batter. Add the cheddar, bacon and jalapeños and fold into the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, Turn the cornbread out of the pan and cool for a few minutes more on the wire rack. Cut into wedges or squares and serve.
More Savory Breads: