Sometimes, you just need something easy. Something quick. It should still be delicious, but let’s be honest, on a Tuesday or Wednesday night — noone wants to face a complicated recipe or do more than minimal prep. Enter the one pan meals. An easy skillet dinner. 45 minutes. Done. One Pan Mediterranean Chicken and Rice.
This skillet dinner was inspired by the contents of my pantry – as in “how long have I had those artichokes?” The answer — too long. Better use them now.
Chicken thighs are my go-to for a meaty, savory main — and they work really well in this dish. They stay moist and they’re always tender. Start by seasoning the thighs and then brown them in a hot skillet with a little olive oil. Don’t cook the chicken completely, just enough to sear it and render a little fat.
Transfer the chicken to a plate and brown the sliced mushrooms in the hot oil.
When the mushrooms are browned, spoon them into a small bowl and saute the onions and rice together until the onions are slightly softened and the rice starts taking on some color.
Next comes the flavor… lots of fresh garlic and herbs plus sweet sun-dried tomatoes!
Saute for a minute or two until very fragrant, then stir in the broth, artichokes and mushrooms.
Nestle the chicken thighs into the rice, bring the liquid to a boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes. That’s it! Dinner in a skillet!
Savory, meaty and absolutely delicious! A one pot wonder that will have everyone licking their plates — or whatever passes for a societal norm in your house…
Want More One Pan Meals?
- Irish Banger Skillet
- Hoisin Maple Asian Glazed Salmon
- Easy Cajun Skillet Jambalaya
- Baked Salmon Pesto (4 Ingredients)
- Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts with Dijon Sauce
- Bourbon Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon
- Pork Chops with Pan Gravy
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
One Pan Mediterranean Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs bone-in, skin on
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper fresh cracked
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 8 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup long grain rice or basmati rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme chopped fresh
- 2 teaspoons rosemary chopped fresh
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes julienned
- 6.5 ounce jar marinated artichokes roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley for garnish chopped for garnish (optional)
- Large heavy skillet with a tight fitting lid 10-12 inch
- Dry the chicken thighs with a paper towel and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Place a large heavy skillet on the stove and heat over medium high heat for one minute. Add one tablespoon olive oil and and rotate the pan so the oil slicks across and covers the bottom. Place the chicken thighs skin-side-down in the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Use tongs to flip the chicken and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened and brown. Transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and saute for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened and translucent. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally until the rice begins to take on some color, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, thyme, rosemary and red pepper flakes and add the chicken broth, sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes. Add the mushrooms back into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and use the tongs to nestle the chicken thighs into the rice mixture. Put the lid tightly on the pan and reduce the heat to a simmer (medium low). Cook for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.