One Pan Mediterranean Chicken
Sometimes, you just need something easy. Something quick. It should still be delicious, but let’s be honest, on a Tuesday or Wednesday night — noone wants to face a complicated recipe or do more than minimal prep. Enter the one pan meals. An easy skillet dinner. 45 minutes. Done. One Pan Mediterranean Chicken and Rice.
This skillet dinner was inspired by the contents of my pantry – as in “how long have I had those artichokes?” The answer — too long. Better use them now.
Chicken thighs are my go-to for a meaty, savory main — and they work really well in this dish. They stay moist and they’re always tender. Start by seasoning the thighs and then brown them in a hot skillet with a little olive oil. Don’t cook the chicken completely, just enough to sear it and render a little fat.
Transfer the chicken to a plate and brown the sliced mushrooms in the hot oil.
When the mushrooms are browned, spoon them into a small bowl and saute the onions and rice together until the onions are slightly softened and the rice starts taking on some color.
Next comes the flavor… lots of fresh garlic and herbs plus sweet sun-dried tomatoes!
Saute for a minute or two until very fragrant, then stir in the broth, artichokes and mushrooms.
Nestle the chicken thighs into the rice, bring the liquid to a boil, cover the pan and reduce the heat to a low simmer for 15 minutes. That’s it! Dinner in a skillet!
Savory, meaty and absolutely delicious! A one pot wonder that will have everyone licking their plates — or whatever passes for a societal norm in your house…
Want More One Pan Meals?
- Irish Banger Skillet
- Easy Air Fryer Brazilian Chicken Drumsticks
- Hoisin Maple Asian Glazed Salmon
- Easy Cajun Skillet Jambalaya
- Pesto Salmon
- Pan Roasted Chicken Breasts with Dijon Sauce
- Bourbon Brown Sugar Glazed Salmon
- Pork Chops with Pan Gravy
Tried this recipe? Leave a rating and review.
Your comments and shares are invaluable to me and the thousands of readers who use this site daily. If you've made the recipe, leave a star rating and review. We want to hear how you liked it.
We'd love it if you shared the recipe with your friends on social media!
One Pan Mediterranean Chicken
- 1 large heavy skillet with a tight fitting lid
- 4 chicken thighs bone-in, skin on
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper fresh cracked
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 8 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup long grain rice or basmati rice (only use rice that cooks in 20 minutes — brown rice and wild rice take longer to cook and won't work in this recipe and Minute Rice will get mushy.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons thyme chopped fresh
- 2 teaspoons rosemary chopped fresh
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken stock from rotisserie chicken or low sodium store bought
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes julienned
- 6.5 ounces marinated artichokes roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley for garnish chopped for garnish (optional)
- Dry the chicken thighs with a paper towel and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Place a large heavy skillet on the stove and heat over medium high heat for one minute. Add one tablespoon olive oil and and rotate the pan so the oil slicks across and covers the bottom. Place the chicken thighs skin-side-down in the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Use tongs to flip the chicken and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened and brown. Transfer the mushrooms to a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add the chopped onions and saute for 2-3 minutes until slightly softened and translucent.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally until the rice begins to take on some color, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, thyme, rosemary and red pepper flakes and add the chicken broth, sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes.
- Add the mushrooms back into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and use the tongs to nestle the chicken thighs into the rice mixture. Put the lid tightly on the pan and reduce the heat to a simmer (medium low). Cook for 15 minutes until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Pin “One Pan Mediterranean Chicken For Later!
Make sure you use rice that cooks in 25 minutes or less. We used long-grain brown rice (the recipe did not specify what kind of rice, so we used what we had)!
I love the fresh flavors of this dish!
Thanks, Michele! I hope you enjoy it.
Oh yum!! I LOVE Mediterranean food and one pot dishes are even better! I will try this one out on my family for sure!!
Thanks, Nikolina! I agree on one-pot meals… everyone loves them.
Quick + easy is a MUST for me on weeknights. Pinning this to try!
Let me know how you like it, Elizabeth!
I love anything one pot and this chicken looks so tasty! I love that you added artichokes – delicious! Can’t wait to try this one!
I know – one pot dishes rule! Enjoy, Kristine!
This looks great Lisa! Always looking for easy week night dinners!
Aren’t we all, Katrina?
I make a one pan Mediterranean chicken dish, too, but it’s so different from yours! Love your take on this recipe!
Well, now I’m curious — what’s in yours?
Very different, with tomatoes! http://christinascucina.com/2013/11/mediterranean-chicken-mushrooms-and-rice.html
Wow – it almost reminds me of a cacciatore! Yum!
Lisa this looks divine! I’m going to make this for Sunday dinner!
Please let me know how you like it!
This is a lovely recipe. So pleased to see the use of chicken thighs – with bone in. The result is there to see with moist chicken. Love the combination of these Mediterranean ingredients. As you say – perfect for a mid-week meal and only 1 pot. This is my sort of dinner.
Thanks, Mark — I think we all look for these easy weeknight options!
My son has allergies to dairy, egg and nuts and this recipe is SAFE for him! It looks absolutely delicious and I can’t wait to try it! Thank you!
I’m so glad to hear it! Hope he enjoys!
So perfect for weeknights! Love all the veggies, so colorful. Will definitely need to try this.
Love all the flavors in this, and so convenient that it’s made in one pan!
We all need a few easy meals like this in our arsenal!
I am all about minimal prep and easy on a weeknight. This skillet dish is right up my alley. Something the whole family can enjoy and even easy enough to bring out for a dinner party. Love the ingredients and love that it is one skillet. Delish!
Thank you Ali! It’s an easy go-to weeknight supper!
One Pot chicken is the best!!! This looks so yummy! adding to my list of food to make!
Thanks, Natalia — this is easy and delicious! Enjoy!