Perfect for lazy weekend breakfasts, these easy Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Pancakes are the best! Made with buttermilk, lemon zest and a bit of cornmeal for a bit of texture, this easy, homemade pancake recipe feeds the whole family!
When my daughter wakes up (around 10:30) breakfast doesn’t appeal to her. She would prefer to skip it all together, unless I can give her a reason to want to eat it. For Emily — that means carbs. Breakfast in the form of yogurt and fruit or an omelette??? Pass. Breakfast in the form of waffles, pancakes or French toast? She’s ALL-IN!!!
So, this was Emily’s idea. In fact, she practically insisted on it when I told her I was doing a breakfast post. “No omelettes or frittatas” she said. “You need to make pancakes. Blueberry pancakes.”
That’s Emily-speak for “I want you to make blueberry pancakes for me.”
So, while she slept, (it was only 9:30 after all) I began assembling the batter. It’s a thick one with creamy buttermilk, fresh lemon zest and a little cornmeal for some texture. I added fresh blueberries and started heating up the griddle.
After the pat of butter started to splutter and spit, I ladled on scoops of pancake batter and patiently waited to flip them — looking for those telltale bubbles on top of the batter.
At about this time, Emily shuffled into the kitchen with a big grin on her face. “Pancakes!”
Indeed. The fluffy cakes were lightly browned and oozing purple juice from the ripe berries. We piled some on a plate and topped them with a pat of butter, which quickly slid across the surface and melted down the side of the stack. So much for presentation.
She bathed her plate in warm maple syrup and contentedly dug her fork into the pile.
That’s it. Happiness on a plate. I think you’d agree.
More weekend breakfasts you might like:
- Overnight Stuffed Bread Strata
- Creamed Chipped Beef On Toast
- Ham and Cheese Frittata
- Make Ahead French Toast
Tried this recipe? Leave a rating and review.
Your comments and shares are invaluable to me and the thousands of readers who use this site daily. If you've made the recipe, leave a star rating and review. We want to hear how you liked it.
We'd love it if you shared the recipe with your friends on social media!
Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Pancakes
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 cup blueberries
- butter for frying
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Slowly pour the liquids into the dry ingredients mixing to combine — don’t over mix, some small lumps are ok. Add the blueberries and stir gently into the batter.
- Heat griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add a small pat of butter to the griddle and swish it over the surface. Ladle pancakes onto hot griddle in about 1/3 cup increments to make 4″ pancakes.
- Cook pancakes 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. Carefully flip with a spatula and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Transfer pancakes to a baking sheet and keep them warm in the oven while you finish off the rest of the pancakes
Don’t Forget To “Pin It” For Later!