This easy duck fat potato recipe is perfect for special dinners. Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes are a 5-ingredient dish with a crispy outside and creamy inside. Smashing the spuds adds more surface area to form a golden crust and potatoes cooked in duck fat aren’t at all greasy! Not your everyday baked potatoes.
What is it about “little” potatoes that’s so appealing? Is it their bite-sized quality? Or that everything’s cuter when it’s little (i.e. puppies, kittens, babies, mini tarts)? Maybe it’s the “no peeling required” element that makes baby potatoes so sought after. Whatever the rationale, these Roasted Duck Fat Potatoes will be one of your favorite ways to eat them.
For this dish, I used Dutch Baby potatoes. They’re about 1 1/2″-2″ in diameter with a nice thin, yellow skin that’s perfect for this preparation. Because the potatoes are small, they cook quickly, only needing about a 10 minute simmer until they’re fork tender.
After draining the water from the spuds, transfer them to a baking sheet to rest for a few minutes. The residual heat from the potatoes should dry any wet spots.
Then, carefully smash the potatoes with the flat bottom of a wide glass or measuring cup. You only want to crush them to about 1/2″ thick and try to avoid breaking them apart — though a few little nuggets aren’t a bad thing… Watch the video to see how to smash them…
Then toss them with DUCK FAT, salt and pepper and roast. Flip them half way through cooking and continue to roast the potatoes until they’re crackly and golden.
So, you may wonder where to find duck fat. You can look for it in specialty markets and online. If you happen to make duck breasts at home, you can save the fat when it’s rendered. I had a can of confit duck legs and saved the leftover fat from that can. It yielded more than 2 cups of lard, which I keep in a sealed jar in the fridge. It’s now my “secret ingredient” for so many things, like these Duck Fat Roasted Potatoes.
This special fat creates an uber-crackly crust with a tender creamy center. You’ll definitely want to keep this recipe in your repertoire.
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Roasted Smashed Duck Fat Potatoes
- 1 pound honey gold or baby dutch potatoes or other teeny tiny potato
- 2 tablespoons duck fat
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- sprinkle parsley chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender, but not falling apart. Drain potatoes and place on a rimmed sheet pan.
- Use the flat bottom portion of a one cup measure, glass or other 3-4" wide flat surface to gently smash the potatoes to about 1/2" thick. Add the duck fat to the potatoes and gently toss the potatoes to coat them with the duck fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 15 minutes.
- Using a spatula, flip the potatoes and return them to the hot oven for an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley. Serve.
Pin “Roasted Duck Fat Potatoes” For Later!