Need an easy sauce for asparagus? The dijon sauce for this Creamy Dijon Asparagus takes about 2 minutes to assemble and makes a great dressing for steamed or blanched asparagus. Serve hot or cold for a delicious gluten-free, vegetarian side dish.
This Creamy Dijon Asparagus recipe isn’t really a recipe at all. It’s just the way my family does it. One of those dishes that we have so often, we don’t even think about it — but then we serve it as a side dish at a dinner party and the guests ooh and aah — and we realize that just because it’s an everyday thing in our regular repertoire, it’s not in everyone’s. And it should be.
The beauty of this dish is in its simplicity. Its little more than blanched asparagus with a tangy, creamy embellishment that takes all of 2 minutes to make.
Trim the tough ends of the asparagus — and save them for making homemade vegetable stock.
As far as the size of the asparagus, I personally prefer the long, pencil-thin spears, but others swear by the shorter, thicker ones. Either way, it’s the sauce that makes it.
Sauce for Creamy Dijon Asparagus Is Ridiculously Easy!
The creamy dijon sauce has only 3 ingredients — dijon mustard (duh), mayonnaise and a squeeze of lemon juice. Mix it in a small prep bowl and serve it alongside the asparagus or drizzle it over the top.
I added chopped chives for the pictures to give it dimension, and a peppery bite, but they’re completely optional.
We like this as a hot side dish with fresh grilled fish (the sauce is great on the fish as well) or any other protein, but it’s also delicious served chilled or at room temperature… The only difference in prep is to “shock” the asparagus in an ice bath after blanching it. Shocking stops the cooking process and “sets” the bright green color.
More Easy Vegetable Sides:
- Garlic Green Beans Recipe
- Mixed Vegetable Medley
- Tomatoes Provençal
- Peas with Shallots Mushrooms and Tarragon
Tried this recipe? Leave a rating and review.
Your comments and shares are invaluable to me and the thousands of readers who use this site daily. If you've made the recipe, leave a star rating and review. We want to hear how you liked it.
We'd love it if you shared the recipe with your friends on social media!
Creamy Dijon Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- squeeze lemon juice
- chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- Add 1 inch of water to a 10″ skillet with a lid. Bring to a boil. Add the salt to the water and when it’s dissolved add the asparagus. Cover with the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until desired tenderness is achieved.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice. Stir to combine and set aside.
- With a pair of tongs, transfer the asparagus to a serving platter. Spoon the dijon sauce over the top and sprinkle with chives — or pass the sauce and chives separately around the table for guests to add themselves.
Pin “Creamy Dijon Asparagus” For Later!