For an easy, indulgent Irish drink, this Creamy Irish Mocha Latte straddles the line between hot chocolate and coffee. Spiked with just enough Baileys Irish Cream to notice, it’s a libation that’s more soothing and relaxing than revelry and celebration. Curl up on the sofa with a warm mug in your lap and sip to your hearts content.
This is an indulgence for me. I usually take my coffee black. No sugar. No half and half. Black. I used to like it sweet and creamy, but in college, there was rarely fresh milk in our dorm-style fridge — so I got used to black/one sugar. Then, after I got into the real world, I decided I didn’t need the excess sugar and eliminated that too. Now, I drink two to three cups of java a day — very hot and without embellishment.
Which is why this Irish Mocha Latte is an extravagance for me. Like my favorite hot buttered rum, it’s practically a dessert — I mean, it’s got a chocolate bar in it. But I figured for St. Patrick’s Day, a little spiked mocha latte might be a tasty treat. It’s not overly sweet, but tastes rich and deep with a hint of Baileys Irish cream and a generous swirl of whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Oh-ma-GAWD!
Ingredients For Creamy Irish Mocha Latte
- Bittersweet Chocolate
- Whole Milk
- Strong Hot Coffee
- Baileys Irish Cream
Come on, you know it’s gonna be good!
And really, it’s just a matter of whisking grated chocolate (from a real, honest to God, bittersweet chocolate bar) into hot milk until it melts then adding some strong coffee and a bit of Baileys Irish Cream to the blend. It’s a boozy mocha latte like no other.
Creamy Irish mocha latte is sweet, but not overly
The warm, rich drink coats your tongue without being cloying. If you have a sweet tooth, you might want to use milk chocolate instead of the bittersweet that I used — and add some more sugar, but if dark chocolate and coffee are your thing, this will hit the spot!
More Baileys Recipes:
More Hot Drinks:
- Hot Buttered Rum – 4 Ways
- Spiked Apple Cider Wine Hot Punch
- White Hot Chocolate via Leah and Jay from The Gastronom Blog
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Irish Mocha Latte
For Each Latte
- 1.5 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate I used Scharrfenberger, but Ghirardelli or Lindt would be good too
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup strong hot coffee
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream
- whipped cream
- additional chocolate shavings
- Use a microplane grater to finely grate the chocolate. Very carefully, transfer the chocolate shavings to a bowl (be careful - they are so light, they will become airborne and dust your kitchen with particles if you make any sudden movements -- and DON'T SNEEZE).
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat until just hot, but not boiling. Remove from heat and whisk the chocolate shavings into the hot milk until they dissolve. Add the hot coffee, sugar and Bailey's. Whisk until well combined and pour into individual mugs.
- Top with a little whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired.
Don’t Forget To “Pin It” For Later!