Ok, I know I’ve been doing a lot of guava lately. Guava puree, Guava Jam, Guava Cheesecake – even an awesome Guava Grilled Cheese — but if I’m honest, these Guava Cream Cheese Pastries are my favorite… The shame of it is that I didn’t use the guavas from my Mom’s tree. I know. Sacrilege.
You don’t need access to fresh guava for this… in fact, it’s better if you don’t. These 5-ingredient pastries are ridiculously easy to make — because you don’t need to cook, puree and strain the guava. Just buy a block of guava paste.
Cut the guava paste into chunks and microwave it in 10-20 second bursts to soften it until you can stir it like a very thick jelly.
Spread puff pastry squares with cream cheese.
Top the cream cheese with a dollop of guava paste.
Brush the edges of puff pastry with egg wash, then fold the pastry over the filling and seal the edges with the tines of a fork.
Brush the pastries with egg wash and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
Bake until flaky and golden. I mean this is seriously easy and such a treat! Since we’ve got a long weekend coming up, I wanted to put this on your radar early, so the ingredients are ready to go — because, let’s face it. You want this.
My taste testers literally took one bite and their eyes bugged out with muffled cries of “Oh-Ma_Gawd!” and “Freaking Delicious!” If that doesn’t prompt you to turn on the oven, I don’t know what will…
Here in South Florida, guava paste is available in every grocery store and it’s cheap. $1.50 gets you a 14 ounce block. If you can’t find it in your neck of the woods, here’s a link so you can order it. Its an affiliate link, which means I’ll earn a very small commission when you buy – but you don’t pay any extra!
Guava Cream Cheese Pastries
- 1 17 oz. package puff pastry sheets
- 1 10 ounce block guava paste
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup demerara sugar (can also use caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°.Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Transfer guava paste to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 20-30 second increments until it's loose enough to stir. Set aside.Place the cream cheese in another bowl and stir until creamy.
- In a small bowl beat the egg and water with a fork. Set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry to a large square and use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to cut the pastry into 9 equal squares.
- Spread a bit of cream cheese into the center of each square, leaving about 1/2" border around the perimeter of the pastry. Top the cream cheese with a bit of guava paste.
- Dip a pastry brush into the egg wash and brush it along the rim of each pastry square. Fold the pastry over the filling and press along the edges with the tines of a fork to seal. Use a sharp knife to make 3 slits in the top of the pastry so steam can escape. Transfer the pastries to the baking sheet. Continue in this manner with each pastry.
- Brush the pastries with the rest of the egg wash and sprinkle the tops with demerara sugar. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip the baking sheet 180° and continue to bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
More Sweet Breakfast Treats:
Don’t Forget To “Pin It” For Later!