Like many people, I’ve got a “thing” for hummus. Chick peas and tahini with a solid dose of garlic and of course lots of lemon zest. In a pinch I’ll buy the stuff at the supermarket, but I really prefer to make my own. And I love to add other unexpected flavors, either mixed into the puree, or as a topping.
In this case, the special sauce is a bright, fragrant basil-cilantro oil. Just tuck a toasted pita chip into this savory blend and welcome to your new healthy addiction! It’s sublime!
Use your Cuisinart or food processor to make quick work of the chick peas (aka garbanzo beans) lemon zest and garlic.
Add the tahini and olive oil and puree until smooth. Taste the hummus and adjust for seasonings — adding more salt, lemon juice or whatever else you fancy. Now you could stop here and be perfectly satisfied with this homemade dip, but if you want to take it a step further, make this herbaceous oil.
It really makes the hummus sing and doesn’t require much effort. Just put the herbs, garlic and lemon into the blender and pulse a few times to chop finely.
Stream in the olive oil and puree until you get this emerald-green elixir. Isn’t that color gorgeous? I’m so smitten with this dip that on a recent evening when both Scott and Emily were out, I will guiltily admit to eating half a bag of pita chips and some chopped vegetables with a bowl of this hummus and herbed oil for dinner. Along with a glass (maybe two) of wine. For hydration. Don’t judge.
Hummus with Basil Cilantro Oil
Everyone loves hummus. It's healthy, delicious and makes everything from a carrot stick to a crispy pita taste like a treat. The Basil Cilantro Oil adds a fresh dimension.
- 2 15- oz. cans chick peas garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup tahini well stirred
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 -6 tablespoons warm water
for basil cilantro oil
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 large clove garlic roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno seeds and membrane removed, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine the chick peas, lemon zest, lemon juice, kosher salt and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the tahini and cumin and pulse until combined. In a steady stream add the olive oil while the processor is running. Add water a tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition, until you achieve the desired consistency.
For the basil oil
- Combine the basil, cilantro, garlic and jalapeno in a blender and mix until roughly chopped. With the blender running on low speed, add the oil in a steady stream. When the oil is combined, turn the blender up incrementally until the herbs etc. have been pureed in the oil.
- Spoon hummus into a serving dish. Swirl a spoon in the hummus, creating divots and valleys. Pour several tablespoons of the herbed oil over the hummus. Serve with pita chips and your favorite vegetables for scooping.
More Yummy Dips:
Don’t Forget To “Pin It” For Later!