I meant to post this recipe for Cinco de Mayo, but I’m not always as organized as I’d like to be and my best intentions fell by the wayside as I was knee deep in chalupas, salsa verde and those incredible crepes. That said, I knew I had to get this one up before Memorial Day, because you’re going to want to have a big batch of this on hand all weekend!
Anyway, this black bean dip comes courtesy of my friend, Nola. (Thank you very much!) It has appeared at countless barbecues, poolside veg-sessions and long weekends in the Keys.
It should always be served with tortilla chips and cold cervezas or margaritas — or both. What you’ll appreciate about this dip is that it straddles the line between fresh food and convenience items. Fresh from crunchy bell peppers, red and green onion, zesty lime, garlic, spicy jalapeno and aromatic cilantro.
Convenience — from canned black beans and Ro-tel (original). This recipe feeds a crowd, or enough to get you through a three day weekend.
Best of all, there’s no cooking involved. Just a little chopping and assembly. Easy. After all, wouldn’t you rather spend your long weekend relaxing?
Just be sure to buy several bags of tortilla chips — which are the ideal transport for getting the dip from the bowl to you mouth!
This chunky bean dip has bright, bold flavors and spice. Serve wtih your favorite tortilla chips and pour a margarita! This is summer snacking at its best!
- 1/2 red bell pepper 1/4" dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper 1/4" dice
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced on a bias
- 2 15- ounce cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 10 ounce can original "rotel" tomatoes with green chili drained
- 1/2 small red onion finely diced
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- tortilla chips
- In a large bowl combine the bell peppers, jalapeño, garlic, beans, scallions, rotel tomatoes, lime zest and juice, red onion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Serve with tortilla chips and cold cervezas.
More Delicious Dips: