Cinco De Mayo is on Friday this year. As in, the weekend. So, I’ve decided not to bore you with tacos, salsas, enchiladas, bean dips and burrito bowls and just skip right ahead to the good stuff.
Tequila. A Spicy Cucumber Kiwi Margarita!
This is the epitome of refreshment. Not cloying and syrupy, but light and refreshing. With a subtle nod to fresh cucumber and kiwi, a tangy hit of lime and some slap-yo-Momma jalape?o infused tequila. Oh-ma-Gawd! I confess — I made a few batches to make sure I had the juice : tequila ratio just right. Hey – I did this for you!
It’s really simple to make, but it does take a little planning. First – you need to infuse the tequila with the jalapenos – which simply means cut the spicy pepper, put it in a glass container and cover it with reposado tequila. Let it steep for a few hours. The longer it sits, the spicier it gets). My cousin, Katrina, isn’t a fan of spicy things – so she can skip this step and use the tequila straight up — but she doesn’t know what she’s missing…
For the cucumber-kiwi juice, just peel and seed the cuke, peel the kiwi, cut them both into a few chunks and toss into a blender. Add the agave (more if you like it sweeter) and lime juice and blend ’til it’s completely smooth.
Then pour the contents through a fine mesh sieve. Like — really fine. You don’t want any of the pulp — just the juice. Press on the solids with the back of a spoon to get all the goodness out!
After the tequila is steeped (and chilled), it’s time to build the ‘ritas! You can use margarita salt for the rim if you like, but I like mixing my own blends. This one uses Tajin, a chili-lime seasoning powder, along with some coarse salt and sugar.
Mix ice, tequila and the juice in a cocktail shaker and give it a good waggle to blend. Pour into the prepared glasses and garnish with sliced cucumbers, limes or a wedge of kiwi. Spread your towel on a lawn chair, douse yourself in suntan lotion, recline and sip. 🙂
If you like the bit of heat in these, you’ll also want to try my Spicy Passion Fruit Margaritas — we make them by the pitcher!
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Spicy Cucumber Kiwi Margarita
For The Juice
- 2 cucumbers peeled and seeded
- 2 kiwi peeled
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup lime juice fresh squeezed
For The Infused Tequila
- 1 1/2 cups reposada tequila
- 1 jalapeno quartered
For The Rim
- 1 tablespoon tajin
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Slice of lime
- Slice of cucumber
- Slice of kiwi
- In a blender, combine the cucumber, kiwi, agave and lime juice. Blend on high until mixture is completely smooth. Place a fine mesh sieve over a glass measuring cup or bowl and pour the cucumber mixture through the sieve. Use a spoon to mash down on the solids to extract every bit of juice from the pulp. You should have about 2 cups of juice. Cover and chill.
- In a glass jar add the jalapeño and cover with reposado tequila. Cover and refrigerate until chilled 2-4 hours, the longer it steeps the spicier it gets.
For each margarita
- Combine the tajin, salt and sugar in a shallow bowl. Add water to another shallow bowl and dip the rims of your glasses first in the water and then into the tajin mixture to rim the glass.
- To a cocktail shaker, add ice, 3 ounces of tequila and 2 ounces of juice. Shake well and pour into glasses with a little ice. Garnish.