About those strawberries… I can’t believe we had some leftover after that pie — but we did! So, as penance, and because I absolutely adore a farm fresh salad with sweet bites of juicy fruit, Emily and I used up the last of our roadside stand berries in this Summer Strawberry Poppyseed Salad. And did I mention the homemade buttermilk dressing? Hello?!!
I admit — Scott didn’t get any of this one. It was lunch time and just me and Emily at home. I was going to make a simple salad with a vinaigrette, but I had a little bit of buttermilk in the fridge that would go to waste if I didn’t use it. Emily loves creamy-style dressings (I mean, who doesn’t?) and with the strawberries, I thought a buttermilk poppyseed blend sounded perfect. It’s really simple to make and so much better than those bottled dressings (yes, even the one’s in the refrigerated section) and the recipe makes more than a cup of dressing, so you’ll be using it for lunches all week!
Practically all the veg for the salad came from our local farmers market (which sadly has now closed until next season). I used a blend of baby red leaf, frisee, and butter lettuces, but whatever you have on hand will work. I added some grated carrot and cucumber for color, crumbles of tangy feta, crunchy pepitas and toasted almonds — and of course, those phenomenal strawberries!
Emily and I ate without speaking. Just a few “Mmms” and the constant rhythm of fork to plate to mouth. It’s that good! Don’t let the season pass by without indulging in this fresh, sweet, crunchy, wholly irresistible amalgam of colors, flavors and textures. Welcome summer!
Summer Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad
for the dressing
- 2 tablespoons onion minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppyseeds
- 1 12 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 lemon zested
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
for the salad
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 carrot peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup feta or goat cheesecrumbled
- 4 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 4 tablespoons toasted almonds
- pea shoots or other sprouts optional
- In a 2 cup glass measuring cup or bowl combine the onion, sugar, poppyseed, vinegar, mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine and season to taste.
- In a large bowl combine the ingredients for the salad and serve with dressing on the side.