Looking for tasty Halloween party food ideas? Try this easy, vibrant, bean dip recipe. It’s served with blue corn chips for a festive Halloween finger food that’s great for parties. The colors of the chips and dip lend an eerie holiday vibe, but there’s nothing scary about this snack. It’s a yummy Halloween appetizer that adults and kids will love.
Halloween party food for adults can be hit or miss.
I say that because sometimes people go overboard on making Halloween appetizers and foods that literally look like a brain or a zombie, or some body part that should still be connected to a body. Not super appetizing.
I know, I know… I’m a party pooper.
I’ve done my best to overcome my curmudgeonly views. Heck, I made olive stuffed cheese “eyeballs”, this tapenade and cream cheese based “graveyard dip”, as well as these spooky Halloween deviled eggs. So you can’t say I haven’t tried.
That’s why I’m kind of jazzed to share this halloween party food that all adults will love (even me). It’s got the Halloween color scheme and vibe without the literal ghoulish interpretation.
This recipe is based on my popular Black Bean Dip, but I’ve modified it to include just those pops of color that work for this creepy season.
Ingredients for the easy Halloween appetizer
- Canned Black Beans
- Ro-Tel (original) or diced tomato with green chiles
- Red Onion
- Orange Bell Pepper
- Lime (zest and juice)
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Blue Corn Tortilla Chips (for dipping)
How to make this tasty adult Halloween party food
- Open the can of beans and dump them into a colander or strainer. Rinse with water until the water runs clear. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Drain excess liquid from the Ro-Tel and add to the beans.
- Add the chopped red onion, orange bell pepper, diced jalapeno, chopped cilantro, minced garlic, lime zest and juice. Toss to combine.
- Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Serve with blue corn tortillas.
That’s it. You can whip up this simple Halloween party food and appetizer in about 15 minutes (depending on your knife skills).
Pro-Tip: chop the orange bell peppers to about the same size as the black beans and mince the red onion and jalapenos even smaller. This will make the dip easier to scoop and no one gets a big bite of spicy onion or jalapeno.
What I love about this adult friendly Halloween party food is that it actually tastes good. It’s not like we tried to jam disparate ingredients together to make something fit a Halloween themed food idea.
Instead, it just sticks to a color scheme that works for the holiday.
Personally, I’d just serve this Halloween appetizer in a simple black bowl with a basket of blue corn chips. However, if you want to have a bit more fun, I do have some suggestions.
How to serve bean dip to look more like a Halloween appetizer
- Add dry ice to a medium sized black cauldron. Place the bean dip in a black bowl that will fit inside the cauldron and rest it on the dry ice (or prop up with some type of stand or small cake plate). This will give the halloween party food a ghoulish look.
- Hollow out a small pumpkin and place the bowl of dip inside. Surround the pumpkin with a platter of blue corn chips.
- Carve a jack-o-lantern with a large, yawning mouth and place on a large tray or platter. Arrange the Halloween dip so it spills from the pumpkin’s mouth (like it’s throwing up). Surround the dip with the blue corn chips.
- Fritos corn chips are another good chip to serve with this Halloween appetizer. Get the kind that are big enough for dipping. They’ve got an orangey color, so they go with the Halloween adult party food theme.
Yes! You can make it up to one day in advance. Keep it stored in a well sealed container in the refrigerator. It lasts for several days after, but it doesn’t keep the same snap in the veggies, that’s why its best in the first few days.
I doubt you’ll have leftovers, but if you do, use it in tacos or burritos or top an omelette with the bean dip.
Absolutely! This is one adult party food idea that’s easily scaleable for small or large crowds. Just be sure to buy more chips!
More Halloween themed party foods, appetizers, cocktails and treats you might like:
- Swamp Gasses – A Green Halloween Punch
- Cheese Olive Balls – Halloween Party Appetizers
- The Easy Lychee Martini Recipe That’s Great for Halloween
- Spooky Halloween Deviled Eggs
- Bloody Champagne Bellini
- Easy Apple Tart – A Halloween Recipe
- Drunken Cherry Martini
- Sweet n’ Salty Harvest Snack Mix
Fresh Black and Orange Bean Dip (Halloween Party Food For Adults)
- 29 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup Ro-Tel Original drained
- 1/3 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- blue corn tortilla chips
- Combine the black beans, Ro-Tel, red onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, lime zest and juice in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
- Season the bean dip with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust as needed with extra salt or pepper, lime or even hot sauce.