My Instagram feed is way ahead of my blog. Occasionally, you’ll see what I’m currently doing on the blog, but more often than not, I’m just too excited to edit photos and write the copy and edit some more — before I get to share with you. In those impulsive moments, I snap a quick shot with my phone and immediately post to Insta to see if you have the same — I must eat that now —response!
This pineapple buckle was actually made (and eaten) back in the summer and I’m just getting around to sharing it now (sorry). Actually, it probably would have been ignored altogether if I didn’t get a comment last night from thebakingrhino who saw my picture and asked, “What’s a buckle?”
To which I responded,” it’s half cake – half, pie – half coffee cake.” I know my math’s off there but go with me on this. If you’ve never made a buckle and you have tastebuds — then this must officially move to the top of your to-do list.
The thing about a buckle is that it shows no restraint in its avalanche of fruit. Like pie, there’s never too much filling, right?
This one is loaded with sweet, juicy pineapple and tender flaked coconut. The flavor is like an unrelenting three-year-old at his mother’s skirts, demanding your immediate attention.
In an attempt to muffle the insistent fruit, you dollop spoonfuls of batter over the pineapple…
and then bury the whole thing in an sinful amount of streusel topping. I know. Resolutions be damned. You want this!
Pineapple Coconut Buckle
Buckles are one of my favorite desserts -- loaded with as much fruit as a pie and as much batter as a cake with a delightful streusel topping!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cream of coconut such as Coco Lopez
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh pineapple cut in 1/4" dice
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9" cake pan.
for the crumble
- In a medium bowl combine the butter, sugar, cinnamon, flour and salt and using the tines of a fork cream the mixture together. Add the oatmeal and coconut and work them into the crumble mixture until well combined.
for the batter
- In a large bowl beat together the sugar and butter. Add the egg and beat until smooth. Add the extracts, baking powder and one cup of all purpose flour and beat until just combined. Beat in the buttermilk and cream of coconut. Add the remaining flour and beat until just incorporated.
- Spread half of the batter evenly in the prepared pan and sprinkle one cup of the pineapple bits over the batter.
- Stir the remaining pineapple into the other half of the batter. Drop by teaspoonfuls over the pineapple, leaving some spots uncovered by the batter. Sprinkle the crumble topping.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool to room temperature and turn out the buckle onto a serving plate.
More Delectable Desserts:
Don’t Forget To “Pin It” For Later!