orange and green detox smoothie
I know for a fact that I’ve lost three quarters of you just by this picture alone. And I have to say that if I hadn’t blended this smoothie and consumed it myself, I’d probably be a naysayer too. When it comes to smoothies, I’m usually not a proponent — and definitely not for a fiber-bomb like this. But sometimes Mother-Nature needs help (that’s all I’m saying.)
I know there are entire empires built on blending fruit with protein powder and hemp seeds — so maybe I’m not a visionary in that way. Plus, I’ve never felt the need to puree foods into oblivion — unless there’s a darn good reason.
Kale and spinach make regular appearances on our table, but in my mind, there’s a difference between eating and drinking your vegetables. It’s an idea I had to get comfortable with. But I did it. For you. (Okay, mostly for me, but for you in the name of research.)
Know what? It wasn’t half bad — which is to say — it was pretty good! The overripe banana was the key. It added sweetness while the juicy orange lent a fruity tang.
Previously, I’ve looked at smoothies – especially the ones you get at the mall or at a “health food” store as way too sweet, ridiculously overpriced and loaded with excessive calories. But by making them at home, you control what goes in. Plus they’re way more cost effective.
I may not have convinced you to make this your standard breakfast-on-the-go, but it’ll be here when you need it!
- 1 navel orange, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 overripe frozen banana
- 2 cups (loosely packed) chopped kale (tough stems removed)
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1/2 cup cold water
- special equipment: Vitamix blender or other industrial blender (nutribullet etc.)
- Peel the banana and add it to the blender. Add the orange, kale and spinach. Pour the ice and water over the fruits and vegetables. Secure the lid tightly on the blender and start at a low speed, working your way higher and higher until the mixture has been processed completely and is the consistency of a smoothie. Serve.