My daughter is obsessed with smoothies. When she was in high school, Jamba Juice opened a storefront across from her school. She’d go with her girlfriends after classes and they’d order up their favorite blends, sit on a bench and chat, gossip, giggle and generally act like teenage girls. This Mango Berry Protein Smoothie mixes up all of her favorites into one yummy shake and makes a perfect meal replacement for breakfast or lunch.
I confess, one of the reasons for this flavor combo is an inundation of mangoes. It’s mango season and almost everyone has a mango tree in South Florida. If you don’t have one in your yard… your neighbor does. If not your neighbor, a relative. At work, the break rooms are packed with sacks of ripe mangoes and hand-written signs imploring — “help yourself.” Alright already!
I’m not complaining. Mangoes are so versatile, you can use them in everything from sweet to savory dishes. Use them in chillers, upside down cake, chutneys, dressings, salsas or this gorgeous summer salad.
In addition to those glorious mangoes, I also added a mix of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. You can use fresh, of course, but they’re pricey — even in the summer and I’ve found that frozen works just as well for less money! But if you have fresh berries, feel free… The berries add a tartness and tang, not to mention that beautiful lavender color!
To make this more of a meal replacement – I opted for some whey protein powder and almond milk, which made the result creamier and richer than you’d get with just straight-up fruit.
A few handfuls of ice makes it frothy and very drinkable! I know I made this for Emily, but I admit, I polished off the rest myself — it was soooooo good!
More smoothie recipes:
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Tropical Green Detox Smoothie
- Strawberry Orange Banana Smoothie
- Tropical Blood Orange Smoothie
Mango Berry Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup mango fresh chopped
- 1 cup mixed berries fresh or frozen, I used frozen blueberries, raspberries & blackberries from Costco
- 1/4 cup whey protein powder
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups ice cubes
- blueberries for garnish, optional
- Heavy duty blender such as a VitaMix or NutriBullet
- Add the mangoes, berries, protein powder, almond milk and ice cubes to the blender. Puree until smooth. Pour into glasses, garnish and serve.