Looking for inspired mango recipes? Instead of the standard fruit salad, how about an easy chutney recipe? This mango ginger combination is tropical and balanced with a bit of heat. Macadamia nuts and golden raisins are the final touches to this chutney recipe. So good, you’ll want to eat curried mango chutney by the spoonful.
Hurricanes aside, living in South Florida does have its benefits. Mangoes are at the top of that “PROS” list. And because there are so many types of mangoes, there’s always some variety “in season”“in season”. The proliferation of this tropical fruit puts mangoes into regular cooking rotation of many South Florida chefs and home cooks. Consequently, delectable mango recipes abound in these parts. Like this curried mango chutney. I can’t take credit for this one, it’s Alton Brown’s recipe but it’s been in my steady rotation for years.
Table of Contents
Ingredients For Mango Ginger Chutney Recipe
- Vegetable Oil
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Red Bell Pepper
- Pineapple Juice
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Kosher Salt
- White Pepper
- Golden Raisins
- Macadamia Nuts
Chutneys, unlike salsas, are cooked and sweet, almost like a fresh jam, but with a savory complexity. This mango ginger chutney recipe is sweet, tangy and well-spiced. The combination makes a deliciously layered compote that gradually spreads across the tongue and enhances everything you serve it with.
Making Easy Chutney Recipe
- To begin layering the curried mango chutney, heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet and add the crushed red pepper flakes to warm through.
- Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes until the onions are softened and translucent. Don’t brown the onions, you want them soft.
Layering Vegetables and Mango Ginger Flavors
- Add the grated ginger and chopped bell pepper and cook for another minute or two, stirring occasionally until the peppers are softened.
- Add the chopped mangoes and continue to cook for an additional minute.
Simmering The Easy Chutney Recipe
- In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, pineapple juice and curry powder.
- Add the curry mixture to the mango and cook down until the fruit is softened and the mixture is thick, about 30 minutes.
The Final Touches
Once the fruit has thickened and reduced, stir in the golden raisins and roughly chopped macadamia nuts.
- Let the mango ginger chutney cool, then transfer it to a storage jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Pro Tip: This is one of my favorite mango recipes and it makes a great hostess gift. I love to fill pretty jam jars with this easy chutney recipe and wrap them with ribbon when I’m invited to someone’s house — and it’s a much appreciated food gift.
Uses For Curried Mango Chutney
Curried mango chutney sets up and thickens slightly as it chills. This mango ginger chutney recipe can be served cold or at room temperature, depending on what you’re serving it with. It can also be a great flavor enhancer for otherwise simple dishes.
- Mix half chutney and half mayonnaise and spread onto your next chicken, turkey or ham sandwich.
- Spread cream cheese on a cracker or mini Naan and top with a spoonful of chutney to enjoy with a glass of wine or cocktail.
- Spoon it over grilled chicken or fish for a transformative meal.
More Mango Recipes:
- Key Lime Mango Crab Cake Salad
- Curried Mango Salad Dressing
- Creamy Coconut Mango Rice
- Mango Berry Protein Smoothie
- Coconut Mango Ice Cream
- Mango Chillers
- Tropical Pineapple Mango Sorbet
- Super Moist Mango Lime Cornmeal Cake
- Other Mango Recipes (56 at last count)
More Salsa and Easy Chutney Recipes
- Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Curried Apple Walnut Chutney
- Fresh Peach Salsa
- Pineapple Chutney
- Lightly Spiced Cranberry Sauce with Apples
- Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
Tried this recipe? Leave a rating and review.
Your comments and shares are invaluable to me and the thousands of readers who use this site daily. If you've made the recipe, leave a star rating and review. We want to hear how you liked it.
We'd love it if you shared the recipe with your friends on social media!
Mango Ginger Chutney Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh mangoes peeled, seeded
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1¼ cups onion medium dice
- 2 tablespoons ginger grated
- ½ cup red bell pepper small dice
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons sweet curry powder you can use a hot curry if you like more heat
- kosher salt and white pepper to taste
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup macadamia nuts toasted and roughly chopped
- With a sharp knife, slice the mango vertically along either side of the pit, so you have two disc shaped slices. Score the mango flesh in a diamond pattern and push the skin side out to expose the flesh. Slice the flesh away from the skin.
- In a saute pan heat the oil and red pepper flakes being careful not to burn them. Add the onions and sweat until soft. Add the ginger and bell pepper, sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add mango and cook for a minute longer.
- In a small bowl combine the pineapple juice, vinegar, sugar and curry powder. Add to the pan and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to barely a simmer and let it reduce for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the raisins and the macadamia nuts.