During the winter months in Minnesota they have a PIP meter (pain in the posterior) that measures all nature of weather related suffering. I think it’s time that we in the southern climes come up with similar yardstick for summer.
Something like: the number of consecutive days that the thermometer reaches above 90° and the humidity levels never dip below 80%. Or how fast does makeup melt off of your face?
As I write this at 4:30 p.m. , the temperature is 91° with the feels like at 102°. Suffocatingly hot and sticky. This is no time to cook!
And with this easy chilled cucumber soup, there’s no need to turn on the stove at all! With this simple combination of English cucumbers, fresh cilantro, silken tofu with a little vegetable broth, you’ll have a delicious, refreshing, healthy, homemade soup in minutes!
Just load everything into a blender…
Blend until smooth and chill for a few hours, so it’s nice and cold.
The tofu gives the soup body and froth and I love that pale green color, don’t you?
For a little contrast, I make a quick pico de gallo with ripe tomato, finely diced white onion and cilantro.
For just a bit of acidity, squeeze half a lime over the pico de gallo and give it a quick stir.
When you remove the soup from the refrigerator, check to see that it hasn’t separated. If it has, make sure the lid is firmly on your container and give it a good shake to reblend – or run it through the blender again.
Ladle the soup into bowls and gingerly float a scoop of pico on the surface. This makes a delicious starter for a summer meal and it’s super-healthy too!
Chilled Cucumber Soup
On a hot summer day, noone wants to cook. You don't have to with this light, refreshing chilled cucumber soup! A delicious, quick starter to any al fresco meal!
For cucumber soup
- 2 hot house cucumbers English, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro stems and leaves
- 1/2 lb silken tofu
- 6 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
For pico de gallo
- 1 large ripe tomato , seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup white onion finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- additional English cucumber very thinly sliced
- In a blender, combine all ingredients for the soup. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate at least two hours to chill before serving. Season to taste.
- In a small bowl combine tomato, onion, jalapeño, lime juice and olive oil. Toss to combine. Taste for seasoning and add salt accordingly. Chill two hours before serving for flavors to develop.
To serve, ladle cold soup into chilled bowls. Float one or two slices of cucumber on the soup and carefully spoon pico de gallo over the soup and sliced cucumber. Be careful so that the garnish doesn't plop to the bottom, but rests gently on top. Enjoy!
You can substitute regular kirby cucumbers, just be sure to remove the seeds. The seeds are negligible in the hot house variety, so I skip that step.
More Quick Summer Favorites:
Don’t Forget To Pin It For Later!