It’s awards season – and none is bigger than the Oscars. Even people who ignore other awards shows, will take a peek to see the stars in all their finery or to see how Chris Rock handles the #OscarsSoWhite fiasco during the show. And there are the awards themselves. All in all, a very festive evening. At least for those lucky few with a Golden Ticket.
As for us? Well, our dresses may not be couture, our jewelry probably hasn’t been lent to us by Harry Winston, and I doubt that Wolfgang Puck has created the party menu for our festivities. So what? It doesn’t mean we can’t get out the champagne flutes and enjoy the show from the comfort of our collective sofas, right?
It’s a festive night, and we can have our own little party right at home. Invite a few movie-buff friends or your favorite Joan-Rivers-esque, smack-talking gal-pal, pop the cork on some sparkling wine and start the revelry.
Make the occasion just a little more special, with these elegant smoked salmon canap?s. Far from the average chips and dip, these briny nibbles will wow your guests and they’re simpler to make than you might think.
And before you lay into me for the price of caviar – let me stop you right there — it’s domestic caviar and I spent about $7 for this two-ounce jar — you won’t need more than that. A small spoonful of roe tucked into a dollop of creme fraiche makes these delicious little bites really special. And they’re good for more than just the Oscars. I made a bunch for my grandparents 70th wedding anniversary last month and they were a hit!
More elegant hors d’oeuvres you’ll love:
- Oysters Rockefeller
- Creamy Chicken Livers with Caramelized Onions
- Smoked Salmon Cheese Ball
- Duck Rillettes
- Roasted Grape Goat Cheese Crostini
- Veal and Pork Country Pate
- Fancy Baked Sea Scallops
- Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mardi Gras Grilled Oysters
- Savory Mushroom Tartlets
Tried this recipe? Leave a rating and review.
Your comments and shares are invaluable to me and the thousands of readers who use this site daily. If you've made the recipe, leave a star rating and review. We want to hear how you liked it.
We'd love it if you shared the recipe with your friends on social media!
Smoked Salmon And Caviar On Crispy Potatoes
- 6 baby dutch potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sprinkle sea salt
- sprinkle black pepper finely ground
- 3 ounces smoked salmon thinly sliced
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- 1.9 ounces domestic caviar such as Herruga
- Sprigs dill for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Using a sharp knife or mandoline, slice the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4″ slices. Drizzle potato slices with olive oil and toss to coat with your hands. Place potato slices in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and flip potatoes over. Return the baking sheet to the oven and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are golden and crisp. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Slice the smoked salmon into 1/2″ wide slices. Top each potato round with a slice of smoked salmon, folding it over on itself to create some height.
- Dollop the salmon with a scant teaspoon of creme fraiche and about 1/4 teaspoon of caviar. Garnish with a sprig of dill. Arrange on a platter and serve with champagne or cocktails.