I’ve waited 20 years to make these Peanut Butter Chip Cookies. Actually, it’s been more like 21 because I didn’t know it was going to be an issue for the rest of my life, so I don’t think I made a batch the year before Emily was born… You see Emily is allergic, highly allergic to peanuts. We discovered this when she was just a toddler. We were having dinner at my grandmother’s house and Madou had purchased some bakery cookies, including peanut butter cookies, especially for Emily. What munchkin says “no” to a cookie?
Two bites in and she started getting red blotches all over her face.. Her eyes got wide and she looked at me and said, “Mommy, I feel funny”. She was having trouble breathing. There was no Benadryl in the house. We jumped in the car to race to the Emergency Room and before we could even get down the block, she threw up. And went right back to normal. The blotches disappeared, her breathing eased. Her little system was apparently highly efficient at getting rid of what shouldn’t be there.
That week, I spoke to her doctor and she was subsequently tested for allergies — and yes peanuts were at the top of the list — along with eggs, bananas and milk — GREAT! I made a lot of early adjustments to my cooking as a result of what her little system could tolerate. Gradually, her sensitivities to most of these foods diminished to the point where she could eat virtually anything — except peanuts. Never peanuts.
So we just didn’t have them around. Occasionally, I’d buy a jar of peanut butter — just for me. I’d smear some on a cracker, or just pop a spoonful of extra crunchy into my mouth — savoring that peanut stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth goodness. But for the most part, they just didn’t exist in the house.
Until Emily went away to college… And our house returned to being peanut central! These Peanut Butter Chip Cookies are just that! Loaded with peanut butter, peanut butter chips and, yes, peanuts! I’ve been waiting years for this! Emily is coming back from college next week to spend the summer with us, take some online classes and work at the local mall. So we’re going back to the peanut-free zone — but not until I finish these cookies!
Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick, room temperature
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peanut butter chips or you can use chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanuts coarsely chopped
- granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine in a large bowl the butter, peanut butter, and sugars. With a hand mixer on medium speed, cream the butter mixture together. Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, slowly, until just combined and being sure not to overwork the dough.
- Scoop the dough into rounded tablespoons and deposit 3 inches apart on the baking sheet. Create a hashtag # with a fork and sprinkle the tops of the cookies with a little sugar and chopped peanuts.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then shift the baking sheet 180 degrees and bake for another 5-7 until browned and crisp. Cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring cookies to a rack to finish cooling. Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.