This post has been updated for recipe, photos and content since its original publication in 2015.
This savory grilled chicken wings recipe is super easy to make and absolutely addictive. Marinated in a zesty, spicy, sweet New Mexico Hatch chile sauce, these spicy green chile wings are lip-smacking good, especially with the easy to make creamy Hatch chile chicken wing dipping sauce. The perfect grilled wings for game day munching.
Ingredients for green Hatch chile wings
- Chicken Wings (separated into drums and flats)
- Hatch Chile Sauce
I use a simple, homemade Hatch chile sauce for these green chile wings. The sauce is thick, spicy and sweet with a fire roasted flavor that you can only get from authentic Hatch chiles. I like to make a big batch and keep it on hand (in the fridge or freezer) for quick and easy dinners like this grilled chicken wings recipe. Bonus that it’s also in the creamy chicken wing dipping sauce.
Marinating hatch chile wings
- Separate the chicken wings into drums and flats (Save the wing tips for the next time you make a stock) and transfer to a gallon sized zip top storage bag.
- Pour the Hatch chile sauce over the wings.
- Press any excess air out of the bag and seal it. Massage the chile sauce over the wings until they’re well coated.
- Marinate the chicken wings in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
The green chile wings are great on their own, but if you want to jazz it up a bit try this simple chicken wing dipping sauce. It only needs a few ingredients (including some of that Hatch chile sauce) and it’s ready to enjoy in minutes.
Hatch chile dipping sauce ingredients:
- Hatch Chile Sauce
- Sour Cream
- Lime Zest
- Lime Juice
Make the chicken wing dipping sauce
- Add the Hatch chile sauce, sour cream, lime zest, lime juice and cilantro to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust to your taste as needed.
How to make grilled wings
- Remove the chicken wings from the refrigerator about 20-30 minutes before grilling. (You never want to put ice cold meat on a hot grill. It will take longer to cook and have more propensity to stick to the grates.)
- Preheat the grill to 450°. Note: You can use a gas grill or charcoal grill. For charcoal, light the charcoal and let the charcoal heat until the embers are glowing and hot. Use the “hand test” to judge if it’s about the right temperature.
- Transfer the wings to the grill over direct heat and cook about 12-13 minutes on one side. Don’t fuss with the wings too much. Just let them cook, this way you’ll get those great grill marks.
- Use grilling tongs to flip the grilled wings and continue to cook for an additional 8-12 minutes, or until they’re cooked through. (Cooking times vary depending on how large your chicken wings are).
Chicken Wing FAQ’s
Yes. Heat the oven to 450°. Rest a wire rack over a half sheet pan. Spray the rack with vegetable spray and arrange the green chile wings on the rack so they don’t touch. Bake for 12-15 minutes, then flip the wings and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes or until hot and crispy.
This green chile dipping sauce makes an awesome potato chip dip or as a green chile crema spooned over tacos or enchiladas.
Preheat the oven to 375°. Place wings on a sheet pan and heat for 8-10 minutes until hot and crispy.
What goes with Hatch chile grilled chicken wings recipe?
More baked and grilled wings (& other parts) you might like:
- Rosemary Garlic Chicken Wings
- Tangy Sriracha Honey Wings
- Easy Brined Smoked BBQ Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Thighs with Spice Rub
Hatch Chile Grilled Chicken Wings Recipe
- Gas or Charcoal Grill
FOR CHICKEN WINGS:
- 4 pounds chicken wings trimmed into flats and drums. (Save wing tips for stock).
- 1 2/3 cup Hatch Chile Sauce
FOR DIPPING SAUCE:
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup Hatch Chile Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Add the chicken wings to a zip top storage bag and pour the Hatch Chile sauce over them. Squeeze out as much air as you can and seal the bag. Use your hands to massage the chicken wings and completely coat them with the sauce. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
FOR THE HATCH CHILE DIPPING SAUCE
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, hatch chile sauce, lime zest, lime juice and cilantro. Stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
GRILL THE WINGS:
- Remove the chicken wings from the refrigerator 20-30 minutes before grilling. Heat the grill to a medium high heat between 400°- 450°.
- Heat your grill to a medium high temperature (about 450°- 475°. You’ll grill the chicken wings for 20-25 minutes total or until crispy and golden on the outside.
- Grill the wings on one side for about 12 minutes. Use grilling tongs to flip them and continue to cook for 8-13 minutes, monitor the grill in case of flare ups or hot spots.
- Note: the flats may cook a few minutes faster than the drummettes depending on their size. If so, remove the flats a few minutes early.
- Transfer the wings to a serving platter and serve with the wing dipping sauce.