Game Day Fare
There’s just one week until the big game and whether you’re hosting a party or attending one, the food is of paramount importance! You can do better than take-out pizza and a bag of chips. Our super bowl tradition is to make dishes honoring the two opposing teams and this year, it’s the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos. Whoo hoo! Today, I’m highlighting Carolina Eats.
As a former resident of neighboring Virginia, and sister-in-law to a North Carolina native (Hi, Charlotte!), I feel personally vested and obliged to remain faithful to my true Southern roots. And what’s more Southern than pig? We’ll start with these Bacon Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls and lead into some good barbecue. Carolina barbecue or BBQ as it’s known in the region is more than a staple – it’s an identity. A calling card. Scott, our anointed Grillmaster, will be slow smoking a big ole’ pork butt all day and basting it with a vinegary Carolina mop sauce! We’ll be serving it piled high on soft buns with a tangy coleslaw and Carolina Brewing Company IPA. I’ll post pictures of our feast on game day (check Facebook, Instagram and Twitter).
In the meantime, I figured I should make another Southern favorite (which could be made in advance and munched with abandon before and during the game). Deviled ham. No – not that canned stuff — that’s like eating a salt lick — homemade deviled ham. With a hint of sweet and as much spice as you like.
The best part about this spread is that it takes about 10 minutes to make — that’s it. And you can do it ahead of time. Bonus! Smear it on crackers or spread it on biscuits — this is the real deal! And if you really want to pay homage to Carolina – serve it with sliced Mt. Olive pepperoncini peppers! Mt. Olive is a North Carolina company – and these spicy peppers are a natural paired with deviled ham.
This spread is layered with flavors that marry together perfectly, making it a terribly addictive snack. Sorry! Even my Minnesota born-and-bred husband is enjoying this foray into the South. I think it’s going to be a porky-licious Super Bowl!
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Savory Southern Deviled Ham
- 1/2 pound diced cooked ham not from the deli, about 2 cups
- 1/3 cup white onion diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise or more as needed
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce such as tabasco or your favorite, or more to your taste
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- Add the ham, onion, celery, dijon mustard and 1/3 cup mayonnaise to the bowl of a food processor, pulse several times until ham is a spreadable consistency. If the mixture is too dry add 2-3 more tablespoons of mayonnaise and blend again. Add the lemon zest, brown sugar and hot sauce and blend again until well combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in the whole grain mustard and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Serve as a sandwich spread or on crackers.
Other Super Bowl Party Favorites: