Ditch the store-bought dressings that fill the door of your refrigerator. It’s easier than you think to make it from scratch and this Lemon Herb Buttermilk Dressing is a winner every time.
Are the shelves in the door of your refrigerator lined with half-empties of bottled salad dressings? Vinaigrettes? Thousand Island? Ranch? Russian? There’s a better, tastier and more economical way. Make your own. It takes 5-10 minutes and the results are infinitely more interesting, promise. Why not start with this easy Lemon Herb Buttermilk Dressing?
True story: I’ve never bought a bottled salad dressing. My mother always made her own vinaigrettes and she shared her method with me when I was barely tall enough to see over the kitchen counter. I’ve been making my own ever since… and so has my daughter, Emily. Since she was 6… humblebrag.
Our everyday go-to is a simple vinaigrette, but sometimes we like a change. This buttermilk dressing is a tasty shift from the ordinary. Along with the buttermilk — lemon zest and juice add a citrusy pucker.
Lots of fresh chopped garlic and herbs take it to the next level. Speaking of herbs, you can use just about any herb you like — though I wouldn’t recommend rosemary — the leaves are too tough. Fresh tarragon, though, is a must. The mild anise flavor makes this blend special.
Whisk it up in a glass measuring cup and spoon it over your favorite salads or use it as a dip for vegetables. You’ll never go back to the bottled dressings again.
How long will lemon herb buttermilk dressing last?
Dressing can be kept up to a week in the refrigerator. In fact, you can use your old “Good Seasons” cruet to store it in. Might as well get some use out of it!
More homemade dressings you might like:
- Quick and Easy Champagne Vinaigrette
- Lush, Creamy Anchovy Vinaigrette
- Curried Mango Salad Dressing
- Easy Caesar Dressing – no raw egg
Lemon Herb Buttermilk Dressing
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives freshly chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley freshly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoons pepper
- Combine buttermilk and mayonnaise in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in lemon zest and juice. Add garlic and herbs and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper.
- Chill one hour to thicken before serving.
More Homemade Salad Dressings: