the great food blogger cookie swap and coconut almond crispies
In case you’ve been wondering what that brown “Cookie Swap” badge is on my side rail, I recently devoted some time to a “Cookies for Kids Cancer” event — a program that — since 2008 — has helped to fund 4 dozen childhood cancer research grants, leading to 9 promising new treatments, now in clinical trials.
The event was kind of like a chain letter, but with cookies! I baked 3 dozen cookies (it actually turned out to be more like 6 dozen) and sent a dozen to each of 3 food bloggers also participating in this event. (Emily received a care-package as well). Then, I sat back and waited for my cookies to arrive. Kinda fun, right?
This event was sponsored by OXO – and they even sent me a cool 8-piece Baker’s Silicone Decorating Bottle Kit for my participation! Whoo-hoo — swag! Being the cross-it-off-your-list person that I am, I had already shipped my cookies when I received their package — but no matter, I’ll be getting busy with that kit soon!
There will be a round-up of the cookies at the end of the week and I promise to post the link when I get it!!! In the meantime, these are the cookies I mailed to the bloggers (and Emily). They are light and crispy with lots of fun mix-ins, like chocolate chunks and dried cranberries.
My first care package arrived from Steph’s Bite by Bite. Her Browned-butter-chocolate-butterscotch-cranberry cookies held up beautifully during transit but didn’t last long at all after we opened them up!
Then I received two deliveries on the same day — which made for a very sweet weekend! Decadently rich, browned-butter, brown sugar cookies from That Susan Williams – which lived up to their billing! And vanilla sugar cookies from Not Starving Yet – a holiday classic!
I will never live up to the baking-wonder that is my cousin, Katrina — who yesterday made over 800 cookies for gifts and celebrations! That said, these coconut almond crispies are a satisfying treat and I hope you’ll enjoy them!
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Lay almonds on a baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs and extract, mix well. Add flour in two or three additions and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Stir in almonds, coconut, chocolate chunks and dried cranberries.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls (or using a small ice cream scoop for more uniform cookies) about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.