The best kale salad is healthy, delicious and far from ordinary! Crunchy Cabbage and Kale Salad is loaded with good things and finished with an easy dressing recipe for kale salad that you’ll want to put on everything!
In case one of your resolutions is “mixing in a salad”, I’ve got just the one for you. I admit that unless you’re a rabbit, this dish probably wouldn’t even be a blip on your radar, but trust me, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and it’s so good, you won’t be able to stop at one bite of this Crunchy Cabbage and Kale Salad.
I know this because it’s now the most requested salad in our house. True story – when my daughter (home from college) tasted it — I heard a muffled “oh-ma-Gawd” through her very full mouth. After her second bite, she shrieked, “What did you put in here? CRACK?”
Thus, it has become known as Crack Salad in our house.
I almost named the post Crack Salad, but then I thought about the realities that implied and I decided that my calm, suburban life should continue unfettered by the likes of local law enforcement or the DEA.
Back to the salad — it has everything — aside from kale, cabbage and brussels sprouts, which make it much more interesting than plain lettuce, it also has crispy pancetta, tangy feta cheese, sweet cranberries, crunchy pecans and a lemony poppyseed dressing!
And if you’re resolution-ing this January, this salad will help you in that endeavor.
Crunchy Cabbage and Kale Salad
This has so many flavors going on, you'll forget it's healthy!
- 3 cups kale thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot peeled and grated
- 1 cup brussel sprouts stems removed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup pancetta diced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 medium apple I used granny smith, sliced
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon onion grated
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or grape seed oil
- 3/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place pecans on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat. Add pancetta and cook until golden brown. With a slotted spoon transfer pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels.
- In a small bowl add the sugar, vinegar, dry mustard, kosher salt, oil, grated onions, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Stir to combine.
In a large bowl, combine the kale, cabbage, brussel sprouts, carrot and cranberries. Add the lemon juice to the salad and toss to combine. Add pecans, pancetta and feta cheese. Dress the salad with enough salad dressing to evenly coat the greens, but don't overdo it. If there's leftover dressing, save it for another salad. Divide the salads among plates and tuck several slices of apple into one side of the salad. Serve.
Want to cut the sugar? Stevia is a good replacement.
More Kale Salads:
“Pin It” For Later!