What are your plans this Memorial Day? Picnicking? Barbecuing? Beaching? Boating? I say yes to all of the above! The one thing I won’t be doing is slaving in the kitchen. In fact, these Mango Colada Popsicles are about all I can muster on a 90? day off with family and friends.
And frankly, they are just what we need – full of fresh fruit (not fruit juice), a few spoonfuls of Coco Lopez and yes, some good dark rum. Obviously, these are grown-up style popsicles, though you only get a hint of that rum flavor. Skip the alcohol if you’re making them for the kiddies. Since my kid is nearly 21 – she’s holding out for the adult version…
Isn’t this the kind of “cooking” we want to do in the summertime? That is to say — lazy cooking… You don’t even have to chop the fruit into even pieces. Just toss it in the blender and pulverize it until it’s smooth and creamy…
Then load it into your popsicle molds! Incidentally, I found these forms for only $2 at Ikea and I love them – no need to spend a fortune on specialty popsicle makers (unless that’s your thing)! It takes a few hours for the popsicles to firm up, so just to be on the safe side, I blend them the night before and pop them in the freezer for the next day.
Since we’re in South Florida and the mercury regularly hovers above 90?, I’m grateful for any health-ified snack that gives me brain-freeze! I’m sure all of my SoFla friends will agree. Have a great Memorial Day — and welcome summer!
An icy tropical treat for summer!
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple chunks fresh
- 1 large mango peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 tablespoons cream of coconut Coco Lopez
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour the puree into popsicle molds, add the "stick" and freeze until solid.
- Fill a glass with hot tap water and dip the popsicle mold into the hot water -- up to but not past the rim. Hold for 10 seconds in the water, then slip the popsicle from the mold. Enjoy!