If you love fruit salsa on your chicken, pork and seafood, this Pineapple and Mango Salsa will “wow” your tastebuds. With fresh diced onions, peppers, cilantro and mint, this tropical fruit salsa is as versatile as it is delicious!
It may look like a bowl of fruit salad, but don’t be fooled. This Pineapple and Mango Salsa is nowhere near that benign! I mean, “WOW!” It’s as good as it looks — no better! It was good before I added the secret ingredient. After — well. Oh my Lord – flavor bomb!
You really can’t go wrong with this combination — sweet-tangy pineapple and syrupy perfumed mango with colorful, crunchy bell peppers and a little heat from onion, jalapeno and red chili pepper. Yum!
As I was dicing the fruit, I found myself popping any imperfect or uneven segments into my mouth (for quality control). Eventually (and this is not an exaggeration), I was standing over the sink with the remains of the mango pit, slurping and scraping every bit of flesh from the oval-shaped seed. It wasn’t pretty, but I was still reveling in the flavor when I finally wiped my chin with a wet paper towel.
I probably should have accounted for those five minutes in the recipe, because undoubtedly, you’ll suffer the same fate. To the fruit and peppers, I added the zest and juice of a lime along with a handful of chopped cilantro and mint for a fresh herbal pop.
But the secret ingredient is the ginger. Actually – the ginger juice. Ginger juice??? Yes. The juice is so concentrated that if you put a drop on your tongue it reacts like a a hot pepper. It’s zippy and peppery all at the same time and it takes this salsa from “that’s nice dear” to “slap yo Momma” good!
Top your grilled pork or chicken with a spoonful or two. It would also be great with fresh seafood — tossed over some pan-seared snapper – or served with shrimp, scallops, octopus — maybe on top of a crab cake? Why not? There are no limits.
Garlic & Zest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Pineapple and Mango Salsa
This sweet salsa has a bit of heat, too! Great over chicken, pork or seafood.
- 1 mango peeled, cut into a 1/4" dice
- 1/2 cup pineapple cut into a 1/4" dice
- 1/4 red bell pepper cut into a 1/4" dice
- 1 orange bell pepper cut into a 1/4" dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into a 1/4" dice
- 1/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeño finely diced
- 1 red chili pepper finely diced
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves chopped
- 1 1" knob ginger peeled
- In a medium bowl combine the diced, mango, pineapple, bell peppers, red onion, jalapeño and chili pepper. Toss to combine.
- Add the lime zest and juice, cilantro and mint. Toss to combine.
- Use a microplane grater to grate the ginger onto a cutting board. Carefully scoop the ginger pulp into your hand or into a fine mesh sieve. Squeeze the pulp over a small bowl to capture all the ginger juice. Discard the ginger solids. Add the juice to the salsa and toss to combine.
- Taste for seasonings adding salt and freshly ground pepper if desired.
- Serve with chicken, pork, fish or shellfish.
If you prefer less spice, discard the seeds from the jalapeno and red chile pepper.
Don’t Forget To “Pin It” For Later!